Wednesday, February 13, 2013

First SKA of 2013 - Little Pumpkins Socks

Joining KAL is actually fun.  You get to work on the same project or a theme with other fellow knitters.  The problem is if you are not exercising proper self-control, it would become stressful too.  But since I would be constantly knitting socks, I was really excited to get back into the SKA (Sock Knitters Anonymous) KAL on Ravelry.

The January 2013 theme is Flora and Fauna ... anything to do with plants and animals.  When I saw the theme, I immediately knew what I wanted to make.  Through blogging, I came to know some wonderful knitters and their dogs and cats.  One kitty is particularly dear to me -


Don't you just love that face?  This is Pumpkin of FluffyKnitterDeb. Sadly, P-Man passed away in February 2012.  Both Debi and I had kind of drifted away from blogging for some time then, so the news was quite a shock to me.

So, what better time to make a pair of Little Pumpkins Socks using the yarn I bought because it reminded me of this beautiful boy in the first place?  Confused?  Never mind ... just look at this:


I love the little detail in the ribbing that makes it so interesting ... just a single row of purling and the ribbing feels so different.  And of course the little pumpkin patterns are really cute too.

The socks have been finished for a while (quite a while actually) ... and I only have time to show it now:

Really nice, don't you think?  The yarn is so so so soft.  The yarn is superwash but I think I would hand wash the socks ... they don't feel as hard wearing as Trekking or Opal.  A closer shot to show you the little pumpkins:




Details:
Pattern: Little Pumpkins Socks designed by Sabine Ruppert
Yarn: Liza Souza Hand Dyed Sock Merino Yarn (100% Superfine Superwash Merino) in Goldilock (I bought the yarn in Stitches West and didn't see this colorway on the website's color card.)
Needles: Grafton Fibers Darn Pretty dpn 2.5mm (leg) and 2.25mm  (foot)
Cast On: 01-01-2013
Cast Off: 01-28-2013

The SKA February challenge has started and I still have no idea what to make.  The themes are Unappreciated patterns (15 projects or less on Ravelry), Beverage themed, Wendy Johnson or Claire Ellen designs. Any suggestion?

2 comments:

elise said...


I just love the look on your cat ! Cattitude !

Best,
Elise

Becky said...

Wow those socks look great!
I'm working on my very first pair now and their not as bad as everyone says (but I'm only doing plain ones!)