Monday, December 31, 2012

Just before the end of 2012

Warning - this is going to be a rather long spring cleaning post.  Yeah, I dug a little more into my FO closet.

Thanks to my keeping an actual physical knitting project notebook, I was able to trace back several FOs I made in 2010.  It turns out I did quite a bit of knitting in 2010 ... and managed to squeeze in a few in the last couple of months in 2012.  Not as bad as I thought.  :-)

Let's start with hands and feet.


Pattern: Kaiso by Judy Sumner
Yarn:  On Your Toes Bamboo by S.R. Kertzer (75% wool 25% nylon) Color Light green
Needles:  Darn Pretty Needles US 2
Notes:  Easy fun pattern to make.  The yarn feels thicker than fingering, so the knitting went really fast.  However, the bamboo yarn is definitely durable to wear.  The time I took these pics, the socks look pretty worn out and old already. 
Cast On:  04-21-2010
Cast Off:  04-24-2010


Pattern: Cashmere Wrist Warmers to Knit by Inna Voltchkova
Yarn:  Frog Tree Aplaca Wool Fingering (100% Alpaca) Color Yellow
Needles:  Darn Pretty Needles US1
Notes:  Are these just pretty?  I was determined to make them when I saw them on Pieceworks cover, even though I am not much a wrist warmers user.  But wearing these under a coat feels very feminine and elegant.  The Frog Tree Alpaca is SUPER soft and warm ... very lovely yarn.  Though I wouldn't use them to make socks ... definitely not hard wearing, too delicate for socks. 
Cast On:  05-06-2010
Cast Off:  05-08-2010



Pattern: Wine & Roses Mitts by JoLene M. Treace
Yarn:  Sundara Yarn Sock Yarn (100% Merino) Color Lantern Rose
Needles:  Darn Pretty Needles US1.5
Notes:  Another beautiful inspiring pattern, the type that makes you want to make it immediately the moment you saw it.  I used them quite a lot the last 2 winters, especially in the morning when I had to drive the husband to work.  The steering wheel is always super cold and these kept my hands warm.
The Sundara Yarn was from an early sock club.  Lovely colorway and the yarn is soft.  Would like to try it on my feet some day. 
Cast On:  05-06-2010
Cast Off:  05-08-2010

Next up would be sleeveless tank top for summer ... and I happened to have made TWO!



Pattern: Isabella by Jordana Page
Yarn:  Brown Sheep Cotton Fine (80% Cotton, 20% Wool) Color Emperor's Robe
Notes:  I was a bit hesitant about this pattern at first ... because the neckline seems a tack too low.  But I didn't make any changes and it turned out okay.  It is hard to make the neckline lace stay flat ... but who cares? 
This was my second time using Cotton Fine to make summer top and I absolutely love this yarn.  The Emperor's Robe is a ver;y smart color and I love wearing this.
Cast On:  07-04-2010
Cast Off:  08-13-2010



Pattern: Full Circle by Sarah Wilson
Yarn:  Lion Brand Cotton Ease (50% Cotton, 50% Acrylic) Color Strawberry Cream
Notes:  This is a comfortable tank top, but I must say it looks better on the magazine. 
Cast On:  05-10-2010
Cast Off:  06-30-2010


In 2010, I also put an end to a project that had been dragging for years.


Pattern: Heirloom Afghan by Darla Sims (Crochet)
Yarn:  Bernat Cottontots Solid (100% Cotton) Color Pretty in Pink/Sunshine/Sweet Green
Notes:  There are altogether 63 crochet stitch patterns in the booklet.  I started the project in 2005 (!) and it carried on for 5 years.  I know from the beginning that crochet is not really my thing, but I wanted to learn.  What's better than learning from a sampler afghan?  Looking back now, I think the yarn choice might have contributed to the eventual abandonment of the project.  The Cottontots is a really thick pure cotton yarn ... kind of hard to handle in crocheting.  Also the cotton's lack of elasticity made the squares hard to align.
I managed to finish 32 squares.  First I joined them into a long 4 squares by 8 squares piece.  Then I joined the top to the end and form it into a big tube.  The size seems right to be a bathroom rug ... so this is how I am using it now.
If you are interested in the individual stitch patterns, you can see them here or here.
Cast On:  February 2005
Cast Off:  2010


On New Year's Day of 2010, I started a project which would be one that I still feel really proud of today:


Pattern: Autumn Rose Pullover by Eunny Jang
Yarn:  Knit Picks Palette (100% Wool)
Notes:  Absolutely stunning pattern, very feminine design.  I especially love the 3/4 sleeve-length.  The shaping of the waist makes it a very figure-flattering design.  Considering my muffin-top has expanded in size considerable this year, the pullover still fits pretty well.  The plunging neckline is another feminine touch ...
Palette has become one of my favorite yarns.  it is affordable, soft and warm.  With the enormous choices of colors available, this is the first yarn I would have in mind for a fair isle project.  The yarn also holds up well to wear.  I have been wearing the pullover often in the last 2 winters and the pilling is acceptable.  The pics above were taken a couple of weeks ago.
Cast On:  01-01-2010
Cast Off:  04-14-2010

We can skip over 2011 ... knitting was minimal, not to mention finishing.  That's also true for most of 2012 ... but the crafting mojo made a comeback in the last 2 months.



Pattern: Storm Sky Lace Cowl by Eaden Yarns
Yarn:  Three Irish Girls Westerly Sea Sock (70% Merino, 30% Plant fiber)
Notes:  This is a gift for a dear friend.  Since I haven't knitted for so long, I picked a simple pattern so that I could be sure to finish in time for Christmas.  Simple is beautiful.  The buttons added beautiful accent to the cowl.
The yarn is gorgeous in this colorway ... something that gave you joy even on a grey rainy day.  It is also very nice to work with ... and according to my friend, it's warm too!
My friend loves it.
Cast On:  12-06-2012
Cast Off:  12-08-2012

Surprisingly, I'm going to end the list with a sewing project.  Another friend had a baby just a few weeks ago.  I made a swaddle blanket for her:



What is a swaddle blanket?  Without baby in the house, I can only borrow Tweety to be model:


This type of blanket is especially good for newborns because it can hug them tightly, giving them security.  I added a cotton lining to the blanket to make it look more neat.  I also made the binding myself ... which turned out to be the most time consuming.  The greatest challenge to me is binding the curves.

Specs:
Pattern: Swaddle Blanket from Fabric by Fabric One Yard Wonders
Fabrics: 1 yard flennel print from Joanne's; 1 yard cotton print from stash; 28" x 28" blue fabric from stash for binding

Finally, the FO closet is cleared.  :-)  See you in 2013!


1 comment:

Kristyn McCain said...

Wow your Autumn Rose is gorgeous! One of my 2013 goals to do finally do some colorwork. Tweety i quite the cute model for your blanket.