Monday, December 31, 2012

End 2012 with ... Blings!

Totally unexpected.  I tried several beads and crystals I had on hand last night, and nothing worked.  So I thought this was not going to happen.

But it did!  Since I needed to get some more cheese for tonight's fondue (no turkey nor roast chicken tonight ... we are going to have cheese fondue!), I paid a quick trip to Michael's and got some 4mm glass silver round beads.  Just what I need for the finishing.

Being a total sucker for silk/mohair lace yarn, I was immediately attracted to the Whisper Cowl pattern.  Very simple construction ... all knit stitch in the round.  After all the decreasing rounds, it's just straight knit to the desired length.  What makes it special is the bling ... so if I couldn't find the right beads, there is nothing special to show.

Please excuse the double chin!
 I love it!  Just a coincidence ... it goes so well with the Autumn Rose Pullover!

From experience, I know a VERY STRETCHY CAST OFF is extremely important, otherwise, either I can't get my head through or my head can't get out of the cowl.  Not a good way to spend New Year's Eve figuring that out!  This tutorial from Jeny Staiman (Knitty 2009 Winter) saved me the trouble.  See how loose the bind off is:


Besides, I used a needle 4 sizes larger to do the bind off.  Now my big head can get through easily.


Pattern: Whisper Cowl by Amy Micallef
Yarn:  Artfibers Tsuki (40% Silk  60% Superkid Mohair) Color Olive green
Needles:  Audi US4, Takumi Bamboo DPNs US8
Notes:  Using this yarn makes the cowl is super airy but also super warm, perfect for the protection I need when wearing a pullover with low neckline.  :-)  If you love Rowan Kidsilk Haze (I am a fan), I recommend you try Artfibers' Tsuki ... equally lovely.  They are back in San Francisco, so next time you visit SF, remember to try their yarntasting.
Cast On:  12-28-2012
Cast Off:  12-31-2012


2 comments:

Kristyn McCain said...

The cowl is lovely and the beads are perfect.

opportunityknits said...

Hi Agnes! You're BACK!! :)