Monday, July 06, 2009

Down the drain they went!

That would be my June goals! LOL! Due to the back injury and the new development in the GAA project, I didn't have anything in June. Besides, despite being my birthday month (I am officially 45 now ... woo hoo!), for me, June has always carried a melancholic mood with it since that tragic night 20 years ago. The death of Michael Jackson last month only added weight to such a mood. Therefore, I am just too happy to welcome July.

About the GAA project, I can finally report to you that the knitting of the last 5 squares was finished. Seen below are the 3 squares I chose from GAAA:
I have too many favourites from GAAA, but I finally decided on these 3 because they are beautiful and meaningful. While they are being blocked to measurements, I started working on the edging.

I definitely do not like the original idea in the pattern (using 2 working strands of yarn, knitting one row on one square and then using the other strand to bind off and so on). Experience from past afghan projects told me that a well-chosen edging would help a lot in evening out the size differences of the squares. So I browsed through Nicky Epstein's Knitting on the Edge series and decided on this:
I did actually test knit many selections from the books, however, this simple 4-row pattern (sorry, the book was not around, so I couldn't tell you the name ... next time, okay?) trumped the others. The fact that it is a reversible pattern for both sides makes it ideal because it doesn't curl. And of course, it is beautiful.

I think, it's time to look at my monthly goals, right?

JUNE:
Knitting:
  • 1 pair of socks (I have started Vine Lace Socks from Socks, Socks, Socks) FAILED
  • finish the Great American Afghan (only 2 squares left ... I optimistically think it is doable) FAILED
  • continue working on the Unst Lace Stole edging FAILED
Sewing:
Really ... I should get those bookcovers done! FAILED ... AGAIN!

Exercising:
I think I have successfully integrated exercising into my daily life. So I'll just keep it going. DONE ... the only success in June despite the injury.

July:
Knitting: I decided to just have one and only one goal for this month ...
  • finish the GAA
Exercising: Ever since the recovery, I notice my back, though suffers no pain, would feel tight from time to time. This is not good. Tight muscles are prone to more future injuries. So, I plan to incorporate more serious stretching exercises into the routine. One great discovery in the local library is Keeping Fit in Your 50s. There is a whole section on stretching. I am going to do the whole routine once every week and some of the smaller exercises every day.

No comments: