Tuesday, March 31, 2009

09:05 Spring Thaw Socks

The baby knitting and lace knitting took a bit more time that I expected, so once again I pushed the finishing of the socks to the last. Luckily March is a longer month (okay, one day longer ... hehehe ...) so I felt I had a little more room to get them done.


I really like this pattern. The spiraling leaves along the socks are beautiful and the stretchy twisted ribbing makes it very comfortable to wear. However, honestly, it wasn't that much fun to knit. Constantly twisting the knit stitches seemed to add stress to my right elbow and lower arm. So, as much as I love this pattern, I doubt I would make it again soon. Besides, I expect to receive Cookie's new book in the next couple of days! I've been psyched to get this new sock book ...

Wanna have a closer look at the leaves?
There is one thing I need to improve on, though. Even after adjusting the length of the foot before starting the heel, the socks are still a tad long ... not much, just a tiny bit. If I want to get a better grip of this new sock structure, I certainly have to make another pair soon ... otherwise, the enthusiasm would be taken over by the comfort of the familiar cuff down method.

Details:
Pattern: Spring Thaw Socks designed by Cat Bordhi (Knitter's Magazine 91, Summer 2008)
Yarn: Opal Uni Solid 4 ply (75% Superwash Wool, 25% Polyamide) in Light Olive
Needles: Crystal Palace bamboo dpns 2.75mm
Cast On: 03-03-2009
Cast Off: 03-29-2009

I got a surprise in the mail today. The latest VK just arrived and I love it! It is just too bad that they didn't even get the preview/contents to their web yet. The lace shawl by Shirley Paden is very tempting. It is nothing very sophisticated, just chevron lace, but the crocheted edging makes a great difference to the whole look of the shawl. If you are not a subscriber, check back on their site for the preview ... I think you would like this issue too. :)

No comments: