Monday, March 23, 2009

09:04 Hooded Carrying Bag

Unlike many of you, I'm not a big fan of baby knitting ... even though the finished projects are very often cute. Therefore, I am really excited that this baby gift was finally finished! And I also reconsidered the baby items on my March goal-list. I decided to scratch out the Changing Mat Bag ... I would think a baby blanket would be a more welcomed item.

My gauge using the yarn was a bit bigger than the one in the pattern, so my finished bag would be a bigger. I think for baby items, bigger is always better than smaller, isn't that right? I hope it would be able to accommodate the baby beyond his/her first year.

I've seen quite a lot of stitch pattern variation of the project on Ravelry. However, I decided to keep to the garter stitch ... even though it was getting pretty tiresome. The great thing about garter stitch is its stretchiness ... which is good for baby knits.

Badly in need of a model for the carrying bag, I recruited my stuff animals; but unfortunately, they are not exactly of normal baby-size:

Due to a mistake I made, instead of being placed side by side, the two fronts have to overlap on 3 stitches when joined. This made the installation of zipper quite inconvenient. So I used 6 sew-on snaps instead.
If you are thinking of making this, I would suggest you to use provisional cast on so that you can make a seamless bag by kitchener stitch at the end. I used 3-needle bind off to complete the hood:
Quite a nice way ... look seamless from the outside.

Details:
Pattern: Hooded Carrying Bag from Essential Baby by Debbie Bliss
Yarn: Lion Brand Vanna's Choice Print (100% Acrylic) in Seaspray Mist (5.5 skeins)
The colour I've chosen is absolutely lovely. The yarn is reasonably smooth. I put the finished bag into the washer and dryer and it holds up well.
Needle: Denise US6
Cast On: 03-03-2009
Cast Off: 03-20-2009

No comments: