Monday, February 02, 2009

09:02 Tangled Yoke Cardigan

Last week, I have been busy. On Thursday, I took a private sewing lesson. The whole purpose of this lesson was to figure what was wrong with my machine. You see, I have been having similar problems like this:
Sometimes, the mess was even messier than this. I tried every movable part of the machine to no avail. It turned out when I bought some extra thread bobbins, I got the wrong type which were smaller in height. But of course, I took advantage of the lesson and asked the teacher lots of questions about sewing. I was happy that the problem that's been bugging me was finally solved.

Then on Friday, I got sucked into this fake death rumour that exploded over the weekend on Rivalry and Knitty Board. I was just reading the forum posts and development as a bystander since I didn't even know this person before her death; but I did feel sympathy for her family when I learned about her disease and death. If the rumour turned out to be true, it would be horrible ... for almost everybody involved!

And of course, I was busy finishing my first sweater of 2009 ... Tangled Yoke Cardigan. I.LOVE.IT...VERY.MUCH! Honestly, I may not be always overtly impressed by the IK under Eunny's leadership, but I do think this pattern is impeccable. It is almost flawless (there is a minor mistake in the number of stitches somewhere, I think) and the shape and fit are extremely flattering:
I just have a very good feeling wearing the cardigan. The sizing may need some adjusting. I wanted a more standard fit, somewhere between the 34" and 38" bust. If you have the same problem with the sizing, patient and generous swatching is a must. The size of my cardigan turns out to be exactly what I wanted (a great reason for anther round of happy dance):
My first yoke sweater ... and I am really impressed! The fit of the cardigan is very comfortable ... and the intricate cabling pattern running along the yoke makes the cardigan so very elegant:

However, one thing caught me by surprise -- the yarn. The Elsebeth Lavold Silky Wool is very lovely in its own tweedy rugged way and the colour is gorgeous. I didn't remember reading anywhere knitters mentioning that it is scratchy! But it is ... seriously! Maybe it is just me. Last night when I tried it on, I discovered that no way can I wear this cardigan next to the skin! Too bad ... I would have second thought using this yarn again. :(


Details:
Pattern: Tangled Yoke Cardigan designed by Eunny Jang from IK Fall 2007
Yarn: Elsebeth Lavold Silky Wool (45% wool, 35% silk, 20% Nylon) Colour: Cornflower 7 skeins
Needles: Addi Circular 3.5mm and Addi Lace Circular 3.25mm (for button and buttonhole bands)
Cast On: 01-13-2009
Cast Off: 02-01-2009

No comments: