Tuesday, January 20, 2009

First Cardigan

It's Eunny Jang's Tangled Yoke Cardigan. Since it is the first sweater of the year, I took extra measures to make sure it would come out right. So, I swatched, and swatched, and swatched ... literally! This had to be the first for me ... 3 full size swatches (30 stitches x 36 rows) in 3 different needle sizes. All swatches washed and dried in the way the sweater-to-be would be handled. Measurements taken before and after the washes.

I am glad I did all these. Seriously.

The sizes of the pattern seem a bit odd to me. The smallest is 34" bust, then the next jumps to 38". I know for sure I can't squeeze into the smallest size, but the next size might be too big. I want a 36" bust.

The yarn I chose for the cardigan is Elsebeth Lavold Silky Wool (Hooray for knitting from stash!). Thanks to Ravelry (again!), I knew this lovely yarn definitely blooms with the first wash.

Therefore the swatching, washing and measuring to find the right needle size to get the 36" bust. I am using US4 to make the 38" size.

And the yarn! Despite the quite frequent appearnaces of plant matters mingled in the wool, Silky Wool is lovely ... lovely ... and lovely:

No comments: