Thursday, May 15, 2008

Colour Zen

"I never cease to be amazed by this design." This is one of the Flickr comments I got for the Colour Wheel Quilt. Actually, I always feel the same way about this design too:
Actually, it is mesmerizing just looking at how one colour morphs into another ... and then the wheel comes full circle. Round shapes ... circles ... infinity ... completeness ... wholeness ... isn't that very Zen?

This is the quilt resting on our bed. I made it larger than the original design. At first I planned on an extra 9" around, but the width of the batting came narrower than stated in the package, so I could only make it extra 7" around. It now measures 69" x 69".

Because the quilt lines are radiating from the centre following the seams of the wheel, I thought the best way to do the extension is mitered corners:
Pretty neat, huh?

Instead of white binding, I used a tie-dye type red fabric in small prints. How do you like it? I think it works well ... at least for me! :) I chose to do the double-fold binding instead of machine-attached binding. I like hand stitching the binding to the back of the quilt. The hand stitching went pretty fast ... faster than I expect ... I finished it in one day. And with me getting more familiar with using a thimble, the stitching was a breeze.

As a first full-size quilt project, I think I did a decent job ... and there is not much puckering. Of course, the thread-basting proved to be worth the while. I spent 2 days on it, but the machine quilting actually benefited from it ... the layering was pretty even, and I didn't have to stop and remove pins.

Specs:
Pattern: Colour Wheel Quilt from Last-Minute Patchwork + Quilted Gifts
Fabrics: The bundle for the project from Purl; Egyptian Cotton, Calico White Prints, red fabric remnants from JoAnn's
Batting: Mountain Mist Cotton Blossom Cotton/Silk Blend

I'm sure you can understand my excitement ... so a couple more pictures of this beautiful quilt:
I should be taking it out to the park and take pictures, but since the backing is white and the temperature here shoots up to 100F today, indoors shots are fine with me.

Now I think I can really say "I love quilting"!

No comments: