Friday, January 18, 2008

08:02 Laila's Socks

I am happy. I am just happy that I chose to do a 2-coloured sock pattern. It's always a good thing to meet a challenge head on, right? Well, it started when I checked the sock stash and saw 2 single balls of different colours (Yarn Focus Challenge prizes from Rebekah), which incidentally were the colours of Laila's Socks in the book. That was it ... the yarns told me what to make! :)

If you are like me, new to 2-colour knitting, you'll find very useful resources in this blog, Knitting in Color. Nanette has just released a series of posts about how to hold the 2 strands of yarns, with excellent photo illustrations. Besides, she has a few free patterns too.

I think I still need lots of practices to be really proficient in colourwork knitting. Look at this:
This is the beginning/end of rounds. I am not sure if it is supposed to be like this, or I could have done it better. But anyway, whatever imperfect spots the socks have, they seem to have disappeared when worn on the feet ... happy feet hold no grudge against little things, right?



Details:
Pattern: Laila's Socks designed by Nancy Bush from Folk Knitting in Estonia
Well written pattern ... no mistake at all (at least I didn't have any!). Actually, it's quite a good pattern for beginners because it is not overtly complicated. In a way, colourwork is just like lace ... it's extremely addictive. The urge to see the pattern forming will keep you going one row more ... then another row ... then more and more. I was just amazed at myself when I managed to finish the first sock within one day last Saturday. Given the leisure of no chores to do and no meals to cook and no other distractions, the sense of time will be lost in the knitting of colourwork.

Yarns: Nature Spun Fingering Weight (100% wool) Col: Pagan Pink and G.B. Wolle Cosy Socks (40% Acrylic, 40% Superwash Wool, 20% Polyamid) Col: White
The 2 yarns are not of exactly the same thickness but still they seem to work together well. Thanks Rebekah.

Needles: Crystal Palace bamboo dpns US1 (cuff and foot) and US1.5 (leg)

Cast On: 01-11-2008
Cast Off: 01-18-2008

Next task is to find a pattern for the lovely Ranco gifted by Debi. I have tried 3 or 4 patterns but it seems a simpler one, like Gentleman's Fancy Socks, would be the best.

No comments: