Friday, December 28, 2007

A last FO

My sock mojo has been pretty low in the last couple of months. Yet, in an attempt to finish up as many WIPs as possible, I struggled to finish Husband's plain stocking stitch socks in the last few days. All those holiday tv program marathons helped me a lot. Maybe he was excited by the little monograms I put on the socks, Husband started playing around when trying on the socks ... and he even let me take photos! No no no ... not only that ... he even gave permission to use them! LOL!
Having Fun with Maizy Socks
The Crystal Palace Maizy yarn is an amazingly soft and comfortable yarn. Despite its splittiness, I love it a lot and would definitely use it again for my own summer socks. As it turned out, the most fun part was the monogram using duplicate stitch.

Details:
Pattern: Toe-up stocking stitch with short row heels
I used figure-8 cast on 16 stitches and eventually increased to 68 stitches. For the cast off, I sew the open stitches to the wrong side 2 rows down because this method produced the most non-tight ribbing in my experience. With wool yarn, this works well. However, with this non-wool yarn, you can see it tends to be a bit too loose. I would put elastic on the edge to help the socks stay in place.

Yarn: Crystal Palace Maizy (82% Corn Fiber - 18% elastic nylon) 2 balls Col: Corn
Just 2 words to summarize - love it! But I do think I like the solid colours a lot more!

Needles: Crystal Palace bamboo dpns US1

Cast On: 08-30-2007
Cast Off: 12-27-2007

Believe it or not, plain socks are the most difficult to knit! Hahaha ... I am not starting any new project before the new year comes. But don't worry, I have the Great American Afghan to entertain myself. :)

No comments: