Saturday, December 22, 2007

Christmas Present

It is a good thing to keep track of when you start a project, really. Otherwise, I wouldn't have known that the Sashiko Jacket took me 13 months to finish. Yes, exactly 13 months! But one thing I am happy to say is that I am still very much in love with this pattern. I love the sashiko patterns, which can be clean but complicated at the same time. You have to admit, the patterns are very unique. I remember reading someone in Ravelry saying that she only wore a kimono-like jacket (pattern from Norsk Strikkedesign) she made once because it was too dramatic. I was thinking if I would feel the same with this jacket. While it is unique, the subdued shades of blues and grey make this jacket a lot more wearable.

However, I certainly hope that I hadn't screwed up my gauge so that I would get a longer jacket, instead of a cropped one. :) Yet, it is still longer than the Old Tile. So, here it is ... my Christmas present to myself:


Details:
Pattern: Sashiko Jacket designed by Noriko Sekiguchi (Interweave Knits Winter 1999/2000)
The design was a roomy jacket. So even though my gauge got tighter than it should be, the width still fits ... but the sleeves become bracelet length and the jacket is cropped. For the finishing, the instructions said "fold the hem to the wrong side" ... well, there was actually no mention of knitting the hem in all the previous instructions. This meant that if I wanted to have hems for the sleeves and jacket, they would become even shorter, or I had to do something else. Therefore, I needed to pick up stitches on the wrong side and knit 6 rows of stocking stitches for the hem. It worked out great ... actually better than knitting the hems at the beginning, in my opinion.

The hems are important because with them, the jacket looks a lot more professionally finished, not to mention the no more rolling edges.



What do you think? Is it too short?

Yarns: Rauma,3 ply Strikkegarn: #159 dark navy (MC), 5 (6, 6) skeins; #1387 charcoal (CC1), and #147 medium blue (CC3), 3 skeins each; #149 light navy (CC2), 3 (3, 4) skeins; #100 natural (CC4), 2 (2, 3) skeins
I got the project kit from the no-longer existing Destash Blog. If you want to have a warm jacket, this is a yarn you can consider ... yet a word of warning, it is not particularly soft to the touch.

Needle: Addi 3.5mm circulars

Cast On: 11-25-2006
Cast Off: 12-22-2007

No comments: