Friday, December 28, 2007

2007 Knitrospect

2007 is a year of quality to me. The number of projects I completed is smaller than previous years but looking back, I love each and every one of them. I spent no time on things that I found no or little use for me - gloves, bags, toys ... but maybe not the last one. Last night, I finished this little one:



It was an impulsive buy after seeing this. As a person who didn't grow up with stuffed animals or any sort of dolls, I seldom have the urge to make toys, but the felted knits from Crafty Alien are just too darn cute! However, I reached the conclusion that I don't have a good hand for small things!

Oh, back to 2007. I spent a great portion of the year on lace projects, so the report card on sweaters didn't look too good if not for the sweater frenzy in the last quarter. The final stats come like this:

1 Afghan and 1 Stuffed Animal

7 Sweaters/Jackets/Cardigans

Sweaters/Cardigans/Jackets 2007

8 Scarves/Stoles/Wraps
Scarves/Stoles/Wraps 2007

10 pairs of Socks
Socks 2007

But perhaps KnitLit's Best of 2007 meme is a more meaningful way to review a year in knits.

1. your best FO of the year
The first item is already a very tough one for me. I love everything I made in 2007. Gathering Intentions turns out to be a much more pleasant surprise than I have expected ... and the sweater is really lovely. The Forest Path Stole required patience and perseverance ... and my desire to possess the finished stole helped me on the way. The Sashiko Jacket is one of the many projects that I had coveted for a long time and a chance opportunity allowed me to get it sooner than expected. I was really happy with the finished jacket.
However, to pick the best FO of 2007, I would say finishing this has been one of my proudest moments:



The Great American Aran Afghan ... wonderful patterns, loads of things to learn and experience in the process and the afghan is simply beautiful!

2. best FO of the year made by a blog you link to
For this, I have 2 in mind. First is Merilyn's Stole designed by KnitSanity of Lace Maven ... it came in the time when I was in a lace fever and I was simply in awe ... it is just stunning.
Then it is Tuulia's Pohjan Neito Cardigan ... just take a look at the photos and you'll understand ... I can't resist beautiful cables.

3. best yarn you tried
I love mohair ... and so the best yarn I tried must be Artfibers' Tsuki, absolutely comparable to everybody's favourite Rowan Kid Silk Haze.

4. best new book/mag/pattern of 2007
I must confess I have only very vague idea of what year a book was published. As it turns out, many of the books I have in mind were published before 2007. Besides, to keep my apartment from exploding, I have been very selective in buying new knitting books. But Heirloom Knits is one that I consider to be a gem.

5. best new knitting technique or gadget you tried in 2007
I have never tried duplicate stitch before making the monogram on Husband's new socks, but I found that it is great fun. Oh, and I love making embroidery too.

6. top 5 inspirations--what five things inspired you the most over the past year?
It would be difficult to pick 5. But certainly one stood out to be the ultimate inspiration ... Ravelry. It has become the real knitting/crocheting patterns central for me. Having real people of different shapes and sizes wearing FOs from a certain pattern allows me to have a more realistic view of whether that pattern would look good on me.

7. designer who most amazed & inspired you throughout the year
Teva Durham remains the one designer that I admire most ... every time I opened her books, I couldn't help but fall in love with the designs I love all over again. Norah Gaughan comes closely behind ... there are still lots of designs I want to make from Knitting Nature.

8. knitting resolutions for 2008--what's next for you and your blog?
My resolution is very simple. I intend to do whatever that gives me great pleasure and satisfaction ... knitting is a hobby, a passion, not a job; so I don't intend to put unnecessary pressure on myself. But I do plan to face a challenge again ... to attempt the one project that I failed so many times last year ... the Unst Stole!

As a last note, I want to thank you all for the support in the last year ... either you are just visiting occasionally, lurking constantly, emerging to give occasional comments or always ready to write me a line or two, I appreciate and love you all! Wish you a wonderful New Year to come and see you in 2008!

No comments: