Thursday, May 17, 2007

Victorian Ruby

So, once again I went missing most of this week. But I've been busy ... clearing the dust hidden in steep corners with my new handheld vac and cleaning the carpet with my new steamer. It's surprising that with some effective tools, one would even start not disliking doing housework! hahaha ...

Of course, I've also been knitting. Once I was into the dropped stitch section of the Victorian Ruby, I just worked on it during the scattering bits of time here and there. I thought it would take forever to reach the desired length ... but then who knows? All of a sudden, it was done! It is really lovely! My plan for this scarf is to be a gift for my grandmother-in-law. Like my mother-in-law, she loves red. I made a scarf for her a long long time ago, so I thought it was time for a second handknit gift. But I am not sure if mohair would be her thing. When I modeled the scarf for photos, well, I fell in love with this scarf! So, I think I would put it aside and decide later.

In the meantime, I would continue some other gift knitting. You may find that I didn't do much specific seasonal gift knitting. That's because I find it just too stressful, and thus not enjoyable, to knit under the pressure of having all the gifts done with a deadline, say, Christmas. I have several gifts planned and would just take my time working on them.



Details:
Pattern: Victorian Ruby designed by Jane Sowerby from Victorian Lace Today
I first saw this pattern in Knitter's Magazine and finally had the time to work on it. If you are looking for challenging lace work, this is not for you. But we all know that it doesn't need to be complicated to be beautiful. This is actually good tv knitting, other than socks.

Yarn: Feza Kid Mohair (85% Mohair, 8% Nylon, 7% Polyster) Col:569 Red
Less than 2 balls were used. I have used this yarn many times before ... love it. Besides, bright red scarves are always gorgeous.

Needles: Denise US7

Final measurements: 14" x 76" after blocking

Cast On: 04-17-2007
Cast Off: 05-16-2007

22 comments:

grumperina said...

Gorgeous work and beautiful color! It will look lovely on anyone, whether you keep it or give it away!

Francesca said...

That's a really beautiful scarf. Your in-laws are lucky!

hege said...

Agnes, it is gorgeous! It looks wonderful with your black top, just an amazing, fabulous, red lace cloud. I hope you keep it for yourself :)

Desiknitter said...

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful! I love the picture on the hanger too which shows the lace off so well.
Psst... keep it for yourself, it looks lovely on you.

Ria said...

Sometimes simple lacework is more fun than really complex stuff, and both kinds can come out looking stunning. :D

opportunityknits said...

It's so pretty I can understand why it's difficult to part with it. I'm in love with red at the moment so this looks exceptionally good. By the way, I gave the red zig zag shawl I finished sometime back to my mum on Mother's Day, but you know, she's my mum and I can always borrow the shawl :)

Opal said...

What can I say that hasn't been said? It's just drop dead gorgeous. You should be deservedly proud. :-)

SweetPeaknits said...

Wow, it has real WOW factor. I especially love it in red, beautiful.

your sockapalooza pal said...

How pretty! I like the color and the shawl is so beautiful :) Congrats on finishing!

Alison said...

Beautiful! Simplicity can indeed be very elegant. It is a wonderful red.

Amy said...

It's so gorgeous! I don't think I've seen a single thing from that book that hasn't been amazing. Great work, whoever winds up wearing it. :)

Rebekah said...

As always, absolutely stunning!

Batty said...

Oh, my. That's gorgeous! I love, love, love the beautiful red color. Beautiful work!

Lucy said...

Beautiful work - lovely colour - Congratulations and Happy Knitting!

Dipsy said...

Awww - your Victorian Ruby is so beautiful! What a really lovely, fragile and delicate pattern, and the color you chose is certainly the perfect one for it! Once more a really fantastic job!

twig said...

Gorgeous! And it looks great against a dark top. Lucky recipient!

Mimi said...

Such a pretty scarf and the red colour looks so elegant with the black shirt. Definitely hard to give away.

Rain said...

That is absolutely beautiful. It looks so light and airy.

Jennifer said...

That came out beautifully! I love that red.

Jennifer said...

Beautiful indeed! Love the color too, fantastic job.

Siow Chin said...

This is so beautiful! There are so many lovely patterns in VLT that I don't know how to choose.

zippiknits said...

How many ways can a person say something is beautiful. Well, all of them would apply to your lovely,soft looking scarf. Great Job!