Monday, May 07, 2007

GAAA - Carol Adams Square and sock knitting

May arrived without making much of an impression on me ... except when I finally checked the calendar and realized that I only have less than 3 months left for my pal's socks. If I only have this project to work on, 3 months seems to be more than enough. But we all know that is NOT the case. So, I need a little bit of mental planning here.

One thing I learned about myself from browsing other Ravelers' projects is that ... too many WIPs give me a cringe in my stomach. Just looking at some of them having eight, nine, ten ... or even more projects on the go made my blood pressure racing. So, I would do anything within my ability to limit the number of WIPs on my hand. One way to do it is not to start new project before finishing an old one.

That's what I'm planning to do. This means if I want to start the socks for my pal, I need to finish my Regia Canadian socks:
By the way, the more I work on it, the more I love this colourway. So pretty! See the beautiful heel flap? I always saw this on other people's socks and love it ... but thought it would be difficult. Well, it is actually super easy. It would be especially nice if the yarn pools because the alternate slipped stitch can break up the pooling. I aim at finishing the pair this week.

And one more afghan square:
This square seems to be ordinary ... but this is a reversible square! It's just amazing to see the wrong side of the cable is another beautiful cable, instead of the ugly crunched up purl stitches.

Now is something totally unrelated to knitting. I grew up being taught not to drink water from the tap. We always took the trouble to actually boil all our drinking water. After being here for 7 years, I did make a little bit of compromise. I still don't drink directly from the tap, nor do I boil my drinking water. I always use a filter. But whether the water is really safe has always been a question on my mind. A few weeks ago, I saw the consumer section of the local news and they introduced this product that enabled household water testing.
The water at my home is safe! :D

9 comments:

Debi said...

Pretty, pretty sock! I can't believe this is your first EOP heel!

I never drink tap water mostly because I'm afraid with all the calcium (from the coral) in it, I'll get kidney stones. Plus there's a lot of pollen in the water. Both Pumpkin and I drink only filtered water from my Brita :)

Peggy said...

I'm very happy you are loving the sock :) How many more sqaures do you plan to make for the blanket? Somewhere down the line, I want to make something like that too!

twig said...

I love the Eye of Partridge heel. You're right. It does look extra good with variegated yarns.

zippiknits said...

That is such a beautiful sock! I must try that heal sometime. You've done a lovely job.

Ew..Water out of the tap. My brother and I were just talking about that this morning. I think he will get some of the Pur filter attachments for his faucets. The water in his city is no longer fit to drink, tastewise.

Rebekah said...

What a cute sock!

I like that square, I think it'd be neat for an entire afghan sicne it's reversible. hmmmm.

congrats ont he safety of your water :-)

Rachel said...

Ooh, that colorway is lovely! So cheerful. What a cool looking heel.

claudia said...

But, I'm thinking you still aren't going to be drinking from the tap.

;-)

Carolyn said...

I have to agree, that sock is lovely -- especially that heel!

I've never had trouble with tap water, except when I lived in New York State briefly and visited a friend whose tap water was so sulphurous it smelled like eggs -- yuck. Even when she made tea, you could still smell the stinky water. At home (in Tennessee) we just get our drinking water from the fridge tap, which has a filter attached. Yeah, I'm paranoid enough that I sprang for the fancy-schmancy filter that supposedly catches most everything. ;o)

I enjoy your blog and am a subscriber via Bloglines.com. Just wanted to let you know that I recently revived my own long-languishing knitblog, LoopyKnits.com, and I've added your link to my blogroll. Hope you don't mind!

Ria said...

I've always hated the taste of tap water. Even filtered tap water still tastes rather nasty to me. But I appear to be in a city that has crummy tap water to begin with. I've tasted in it other cities, and in some of them, I've found it actually tasted comparable to bottled water! Which was quite a welcome change from what I get around here. So while I'm sure my tap water is 'safe' to drink, I'll still be sticking to bottled stuff. :p