Monday, April 23, 2007

GAAA - Suzanne Atkinson Square ... and knitting surgery

Besides sharing the joy and sense of accomplishment with people who appreciate your work, blogging on your knitting projects also brings the advantage of fellow knitters helping to prevent potential project disasters, or at least save you some precious knitting time.

Desiknitter has a sharp eye and spotted my provisional cast-on used on Victorian Ruby. My bad! First, I didn't try to figure out everything before starting the project. Second, I assume things quickly. The pattern said to use crochet cast-on ... and the instruction said to use contrasting yarn ... so I assumed live stitches would be needed later into the project. After reading Desiknitter's comment, I checked the pattern ... and found that I had 2 options. Either I rip out what was done and started over; or I need to do something about those live stitches.

Logical thinking - you don't rip out a project except if it's absolutely necessary ... well, at least that's my logic. So, I figured I should try doing something with the live stitches first:
It felt good that I didn't have to frog:
So, the knitting of Victorian Ruby continues.

On the other hand, the urge to knit another GAAA square seemed unable to stop ... so here is another one:
The Suzanne Atkinson Square was a lot of fun to knit. The sun rays were separately sewn-on i-cords ... and as you can see, I made the sun look like a 6-legged spider! I love the details in the picture ... there is even a door nob to the church door!

8 comments:

handknit168 said...

Oh, you are drawing a picture using the needles. you are so excellent.

hege said...

What a cool square! It's so much fun to knit something like that, it keeps you interested. Great job with the surgery, it looks perfect!

joy said...

Whew! Disaster avoided!
I love that cute square.

Rose said...

Gosh, that fix looks good! and i love the square!

Desiknitter said...

I'm glad to be of help! You were better at averting disaster, I didn't know I could repair it without frogging, and had to rip out the panel to start over when I realized I'd cast on with waste yarn. The repaired edge looks really neat, btw! You're going to love the stole when it's done.

Laura.Y said...

That is nifty! Just in the nick of time. :) Your squares are quite interesting. No wonder u r so into it.

suzanne said...

Your square looks great. Glad you had fun with it. I had great fun designing it. If you want the cross-piece on the spire to stand out more, you can tack on two bitty pieces of I-cord sideways over the rev st st.

Opal said...

I'm so glad you didn't have to frog. It looks great and so does the square.