Sunday, April 15, 2007

Forest Path Stole

As some of us in the KAL have already discovered, the Forest Path Stole is not the most challenging lace pattern to knit. Polly has expressed this very well: "... this isn't all that interesting a project. There are 3 motifs and once you get a hang of them, that's about it, a matter of slogging through it all, so more like a marathon than a decathalon." It's so true! At the last stitch of the project, I really did it with a sigh of relief! I mean, I was done with it! But I do want to inject some motivation into those of you who are still in the middle of the marathon ... it is all worth the effort at the end.

I made several shawls and wraps in the last few years, but I have given away some of them. The latest one was Clapotis ... I actually had a friend in mine when I started the project. Honestly, I do love the Clapotis ... maybe I should make one for myself later. But I don't think the Forest Path Stole would become a gift easily ... just too lovely to give away ... okay maybe except if I visit my mother again, maybe. :D



Details:
Pattern: Forest Path Stole designed by Faina Letoutchaia from Interweave Knits Summer 2003
The pattern is also sold separately here. However, it seems the individual pattern has much more mistakes than the one from IK. So, if you are using the individual pattern, make sure you receive an errata from the company. Or you can also check the KAL blog archives.
Among the 3 lace patterns, I think the lily of the valley comes out most beautifully. Yeah, nupps are quite some pain to knit ... but the KnitPicks circular needles help ease that pain A LOT! The other day, I saw some lily of the valley in pots for sale outside Trader Joe's ... and boy! Does the lace look exactly like the real flowers!
One surprise is the borders. They were not as painful as I imagined them to be. Actually, best Law&Order: Criminal Intent knitting company.

Yarn: JaggerSpun Zephyr Wool-Silk 2/18 lace weight(50% Chinese Tussah silk, 50% fine grade Merino wool) in Ebony
This is my second time using this lace yarn ... and I really really love it! It is just very friendly to knit and the finished stole is so soft. I do love trying out different lace yarns, but at the same time I don't mind knitting all the lace projects using Zephyr!
At the beginning, I anticipated some problems knitting with black lace. Luckily, I seemed to have some luck ... actually, most of the knitting was done in the evening while watching TV.
The finished stole weighs 5.75 oz.

Needles: KnitPicks Classic Circulars US3 and Crystal Palace dpns US3

Cast on: 02-01-2007
Cast off: 04-14-2007

With one big project finished, I already have something new in mind. Take a look:
On the left is Hanami Stole designed by Melanie and the Never Wimpy Wimple (Lace Style) on the right.

41 comments:

grumperina said...

Congratulations on finishing your masterpiece! In such a dark color, too. It looks amazing.

La Cabeza Grande said...

Agnes, kudos on completing your FPS! I think it looks elegant in black.

Re: your next project, I recently bought one of Melanie's patterns (Leda's Stole). Have you done any of the Pink Lemon Twist patterns previously? If not, Hanami looks like a grand place to start!

marirob said...

Your shawl is amazing! The pattern is so beautiful and your knitting really shows it well. And I love the Hanami Shawl, I might have to make it!

anne said...

oh agnes, it's really beautiful. funny, i was thinking yesterday about that shawl and wondering if i ought to make one.

Monica said...

It's beautiful! Too bad it got a little boring to knit. :(

twig said...

Wow! That's really lovely. Definitely a keeper!

Jenn said...

Your stole is really beautiful, but I can appreciate what you said about a boring pattern becoming a marathon. Thanks so much for the link to the Hanami pattern! I bought it right away.

opportunityknits said...

Congarst of finishing this beauty! The marathon is worth every stitch because it looks fabulous. Your next 2 projects are gorgeous too.

Joanna said...

Wow - that is absolutely stunning! And definitely worth all the slogging. What a beautiful piece.

Laura.Y said...

It's stunningly gorgeous! This is a keeper for sure! Now if i can figure out how to sneak it away from u. LOL!

Laura.Y said...

Oh btw, I really like that Hanami stole. It's so different from the normal lace stoles/shawls. Knit it knit it! :D

Debi said...

Well at least one of us is a good example :)

It is truly stunning Agnes! The knitting is lovely and it's simply a masterpiece! Well done...

Mine is on indefinate hiatus, maybe I'll finish it in the 22nd century, heh!

alltangledup said...

agnes, it's beautiful. Did you do the larger size ? I'm so pleased to see that yours is done, so now I know what mine will look like when I finally finish it...i'ts just beautiful

~Kristie said...

It may have been boring, but it is absolutely and completely stunning!

SweetPeaknits said...

That's definately worth keeping, its gorgeous. Well worth those boring repeats.

joy said...

Congratulations for finishing the fps in record time! It's just gorgeous, and I really like the Hanami Stole too.

Dipsy said...

This turned out absolutely beautiful and definitely worth the boredom throughout the endless repeats - it looks really stunning! Congratulations!

Ria said...

The Hanami stole really is a nice pattern. I've had my eye on it for a while now, but alas, no money with which to buy it. But my obsession with all things Japanese means that some day I will have it, of course. *laughs*

The Forest Path stole turned out lovely, too. Entrelac is something I can't quite get the hang of yet, and to do it in lace is a feat that I think it better left to people who aren't me. :p

dorothee said...

Wow, what a beauty! It's truly stunning.

cathy said...

Very nice. It's so dramatic in black. :)

Lisa said...

Wow, your lace projects never cease to amaze me. It is beautiful.

Desiknitter said...

Stunning, simply stunning, I have no words adequate to describe its loveliness. Totally worth the effort.

Alison said...

Gorgeous, amazing, stunning! Absolutely beautiful. Congrats on finishing yours. Mine has been languishing for a few weeks now. I have to pick it back up again.

marjorie said...

I just saw your post on the Lace Shawl KAL and I had to check your other photos. That is fantastic--and it must have been tough in such dark yarn. Thanks for the description of Zephyr. I've not used it, and I think I'd like to try it.

primetimeknitter.typepad.com

Laura said...

wow it's beautiful, even if it wasn't very challenging. maybe some day for me. I'm not so sure yet.

I love the Hanami Stole!

alice said...

So beautiful! And you wear it very well! :)

KnitSanity said...

It is just stunning, Agnes. Words escape me!

Colette

Opal said...

Your FPS is gorgeous! Thanks for speaking word of encouragement for those of us still in the trenches. I definitely need them as I slog through each tier.

Francesca said...

I didn't realize how large the shawl is until you posted the new pictures. It's even more impressive.

Mimi said...

This shawl looks so gorgeous and elegant in black. Very good job! After this knit, nothing will be too hard!

SpinalCat said...

Wow!

Rosa said...

That is lovely. The black shows off the details so perfectly. I can't wait to see your version of the Hanami.

Amy said...

There is nothing to say except that it is beautiful!

regiknits said...

Your FPS is gorgeous. I just put mine on hiatus, but maybe I should get back to it.

Siow Chin said...

This is absolutely gorgeous! One day, I'll knit the FPS, one day....

dawn said...

It's beautiful! Did you do all the tiers, or stop at 19? I keep thinking it might be too long, but yours looks great.

hege said...

Oh Agnes, it's so beautiful!!! Congratulations on finishing such a masterpiece!

handknit168 said...

Wa, your stole is so beautiful that I love it, love it, love it...... It is very elegant in black and large enough to wrap oneself.

Mandi said...

Stunning, and well worth the time and effort...seriously!

rina said...

That is really fast making the stole. It took me about 1 year to finish, but you just takes few months.

Congratulations.

Anonymous said...

So a single color works best in this FPS stole?

A self-stripping colorwork yarn might be too distracting from the lovely pattern and won't show up well?

What do you think?