Monday, March 26, 2007

Traveller's Socks

My dear readers, I think only you would understand how annoying it really is to have knitted a pair of socks having the same colour tone as your carpet:
Well, don't get me wrong. I like this colour ... I have always loved natural-toned colours. It is just that having to take close-up shots of them on the carpet is too much a test on my photographic skills, don't you think?


Details:
Pattern: Traveller's Socks designed by Nancy Bush from "Knitting on the Road"
Definitely love all the details of the design. The travelling stitches are lovely and appear to be complicated. I started with US0 and it turned out to be too small. When I started again with US1, I was already able to knit the pattern without referring to the charts again.
Have you noticed that I made the heel flaps? Interestingly enough, after knitting on the FPS for almost 2 months, I think I am doing a lot better with picking up stitches for heel flaps. Besides, I now, finally, understand that it doesn't really matter if you pick up 17 stitches (as instructed in the pattern) or 19 stitches along the flap ... as long as you keep decreasing back to the number of stitches for the foot. Not being able to pick up the exact number of stitches was what had been bugging me about the heel flaps. Silly, huh?

Yarn: Elann's Sock It To Me Essential 4-ply (75% Superwash wool, 25% Polymaide) 2 skeins Colour: 7411 Tan
I bought these Elann yarns a long long time ago. I thought it was time to use up these in the stash. They are nice and comfortable.

Needles: CP US1

Start date: 03-10-2007
Finish date: 03-25-2007

On a non-knitting note, did you watch the new Discovery series, Planet Earth? Watch it on HD channel if it's available ... simply amazing!

15 comments:

Francesca said...

Beautiful! What the heck… change the carpet. ;)

Opal said...

You have amazing photographic skills! The socks are just gorgeous. I really adore that pattern.

Emma said...

Absolutely gorgeous socks. Those are truly beautiful. My husband has been recording the Planet Earth series, but we haven't watched any of them yet!

Debi said...

I don't have HD but I watched it last night and it's amazing. I LOVED the Blue Planet series too!

Your socks are lovely, the knitting is just perfect!

opportunityknits said...

The design looks very good in this colour. This is one of my fave designs from that book. I'm still waiting for my local borders to re-stock this book so I can get a copy.

Nanette said...

I love those socks - so elegant. I have that exact same yarn and was just thinking about making some socks with it.

Dipsy said...

Awesome sock! Beautiful pattern! Great colour! And yay for the carpet - it fits the socks perfectly ;)

Siow Chin said...

I love this pair of socks and the colour!

hege said...

I love the light gray color, it's so pretty! So, now you can be camouflaged :) The socks are beautiful, I think it's the best in that book!

Mimi said...

Such an elegant pair of lacy socks! And the carpet on the background complemented well.

twig said...

Gorgeous!

I never manage to pick up the exact same number of stitches for the gusset that the pattern calls for but as you've figured out as long as you don't have a gazillion more or a gazillion less, it really doesn't make much of a difference.

Rebekah said...

Hmm, I don't know I think it really brings out the beauty of the socks to have them in the same color because your eyes aren't drawn away from the socks, but to their detail and texture.

Knittinreed said...

Beautiful socks! I like the carpet too!

Christy D. said...

Those are just gorgeous! I hope to knit a pair someday, but they are too advanced for me right now. And your photos are fine against the carpet :)

Batty said...

Beautiful socks! They are on my must knit list. By the way, we have the same carpet. Really.

Nancy Bush's discussion of how to pick up stitches for the heel flap really helped me a lot. I no longer have holes along the pickup line. I still can't pick up the exact number of stitches on the side, but I do the extra stitch/put it on the instep needle thing she suggests.