Friday, March 30, 2007

So, exactly how much yarn have I used?

I have had this question in mind ever since I reached Tier 6 ... when the stole was long enough to spread out despite the dpns holding those idle stitches. If knitting with single balls or skeins, finishing one unit of yarn is always one way of measuring my progress. So, you see, the problem with the FPS is that I am knitting from a 1lb cone!

I know, just looking at the stole itself should be enough to assure myself that I did make progress:
Same trick ... tape the whole thing to the wall. For 18 tiers, it's either the carpet or the wall ... and it's easier to capture the whole length standing. Oh, I taped a 6-inch dpn for size reference too.

Yet, I still couldn't help myself ... just have to take the other 1lb cone out and have a look:
Mmm ... love the wine red!

9 comments:

Opal said...

I'm knitting from a cone too. We're Cone Sister! Tee hee.

opportunityknits said...

it's fabulous in black, that reminds me I have black lace yarn for shawls too, but no time to knit right now :(

twig said...

Wow. It's looking great. I do love that color.

Debi said...

OMG you're almost done!! It looks just stunning Agnes! I love the wine too and I'm "coning it" as well :)

Laura said...

I'm confused. I read through the FPS instructions once and I vaguely remember that you hand to knit with 2 or 3 balls of yarn at the same time. (separate balls for the edges, I think.) How do you do that with a cone of yarn? Are you knitting it differently or am I just imagining something?

Mimi said...

This is so gorgeous and you are making a good progress! It doesn't look that you used much yarn even though you have knitted a good lenght. That red tone is indeed beautiful!

Dipsy said...

Looks fantastic - the colour rocks big time!

Rebekah said...

I can't believe how far you are! And you'll have enough left over for another one and another one and another one and probably another one after that!

dawn said...

It's looking so good! I'm also working from a cone, and it's the same size still, but I'm not as far as you.