Thursday, March 08, 2007

I made 2 socks ...

but they don't make a matching pair:
Can you see the difference?

I was knitting happily the usual way I knit Lion Brand socks - 64 stitches cast on, 3k1p ribbing and short-row heel. Just after I started the second sock, I came across this page about Strong-heel Socks by Gerdine Crawford-Strong on Knitter's Magazine 2003Fall. This method of heel knitting sounds interesting ... and it doesn't involve picking up stitches (though I am a lot better with this now). So, I tried it out when knitting the second sock:
As you can see, the flap and gusset are knitted at the same time as one piece. I didn't follow the suggestion of using the other end of the yarn when turning heel, so the striping on the front was somewhat broken. But it was actually not too visible.

This heel fits quite comfortably. But my feeling while knitting was that it took a bit longer to make ... and more yarn too. So, I weighed the 2 socks ... and my suspicion was confirmed. The short-row heel sock weighed 39g while the strong heel one 41g. I have yet to decide which one I like better. For now, I am happy to have tried something new. So, there is no short-row heel Bright Spring sock anymore.

8 comments:

Peggy said...

Interesting, both techniques are different from the heel I usually use. (I use the pick up stitch one). I like the second one a little bit better!

Francesca said...

I'd like to try that; I always hate to pick up stitches. I don't have much hope of finding a 2003 magazine, but maybe someone has published instructions online.

hege said...

The strong heel makes a nice pattern! And since it used more yarn, maybe it will be more durable, too? You will find out :) Great socks!

Debi said...

Agnes, you completely crack me up! I love that you tried "something new" in the middle of a pair - you are a woman who follows the beat of her own drum! :)

I have to tell you that I have my new yarn sitting next to me 24/7 - I can't stop looking at it and patting it, IT'S SO BEAUTIFUL!!! I love the mostly white content too because it's so different than my usual choices!

Thank you again from the bottom of my heart my dear friend!

Opal said...

I love the way that came out. The striping looks perfect!

Laura.Y said...

Love looking at all the socks out there, but knitting it is still alien territory to me. LOL

Laura.Y said...

Socks knitting is still alien to me though i love looking at FO socks. :)

twig said...

Oh I have that issue of Knitters. I'll have to look for that article.