Monday, March 05, 2007

Clapotis

How would you define the success of a knitting pattern? There are numerous ways ... lots of knitters love it, lots of knitters hate it, lots of knitters have made it, lots of knitters vow never to make it ... but when it comes to Clapotis, I think its success should be defined by how accurately a knitter can always identify it when she/he sees one, no matter if she/he has made one. Just a small photo of a small portion of the wrap, and almost everyone can tell it's a Clapotis.

It was entirely an impromptu FO. I was fumbling in the closet looking for something ... what I couldn't remember. I saw these 3 cakes of yarn left over after knitting Ella. The idea of making Clapotis struck me at that moment. I started and knitted the first section ... and felt that I liked the way it turned out, so I continued. For the entire week last week, I just knitted this project. Since the knitting can become very boring, I knew I had to finish it in the shortest time possible, otherwise, I would lose steam and add another UFO to the stash.

The finished wrap is LARGE ... or maybe I just didn't expect it to be this large. Even the largest beach towel was not big enough for the blocking. So, I enlisted the help of my yoga mat. I am now wondering if I should buy some interlocking foam mats or just another yoga mat for future blocking needs.




Details:
Pattern: Clapotis designed by Kate Gilbert from Knitty Fall 2004
Do I need to say anything more about this? I just want to say that I love the rolling style of the unblocked Clapotis a lot more. After blocking, the whole thing becomes flat ... even though I just let it dry flat without any pinning. Can anyone tell me how to revert it to the pre-blocked state?

Yarn: Araucania's Nature Wool (100% Wool) Labels were lost, so colour unknown
Less than 3 skeins were used. I have a very good feeling using up these yarns ... I feel like I have made a dent in the yarn stash! hahaha ... Besides, the way the variegated colours play out with the pattern is pretty.

Needles: Denise US8

Start date: 02-26-2007
Finish date: 03-03-2007

24 comments:

Francesca said...

I love how the color variations enhance the pattern. It really works very nicely. I can't believe how quickly you knitted a whole shawl.

marirob said...

Beautiful! You really did a nice job on it. I also love the idea of using a yoga mat for blocking - makes so much sense!

twig said...

How pretty! I like both the pre-blocking and the post blocking, but I agree I like it better before blocking.

I think to revert it, you'd just wash it and let it dry flat without blocking it out. (key word there is "think")

Kaitie Tee said...

Beautiful - I'm someone who never tires of this pattern.

opportunityknits said...

This yarn is a lovely choice for clapotis. I didn't block mine so it rolls. Would it help to wash it?

Joanna said...

In my experience, the best way to get it to curl up again is just to wear it and use it. I made a smaller version, so maybe it curled more easily, but after a few wears it looked all ripply and twisty. Love your colors, BTW!

Laura.Y said...

Another FO! It looks good on you! I love seeing all the clapotis out there even though I'd probably nvr knit it.

Opal said...

Gorgeous! The colours, the lines! All of it is just lovely.

dorothee said...

Wow, it's so pretty! The color is just gorgeous.

Siow Chin said...

Love your blue Clapotis. I should go knit myself another one...

mel said...

Absolutely gorgeous!! The wrap size is the way to go, I think! My scarf-size clapotis rolls after a wear or two but I'm not sure if that's due to the width...

claudia said...

Very pretty. Do you have a use for a wrap that big?

otismurph said...

Ye gods, that's lovely! And so flattering on you. Wear it with pride!

Batty said...

Oooh, gorgeous! Yes, it's amazing how that happens... one day, you're knitting, the next day, you have the Clap!

Ok, that was lame. But your Clapotis is beautiful.

Rebekah said...

I must admit I am one who has vowed never to knit clapotis. But it's not because I dislike the garment, but because of it's popularity.

Desiknitter said...

Wow, you finished that really quickly, didn't you? I got so bored with mine it took forever. I love the shades of lighter blue in it, looks like sunlight on the yarn!

joy said...

I think the Clap is one of the few things I don't tire of seeing. It's really a classic, and looks great blocked or not, with solid, variegated, AND stripy yarn! Yours is great, and bonus points for destashing! ;-)

Jessica said...

Wow, it looks great!
I had a yarn flake out on me like that after I blocked it and I would love to get it to go back to the way it was. If you find out a way to convince it back to it's original loveliness, let me know! =)

Alison said...

Beautiful color! Beautiful clapotis!

Mimi said...

I really like the colour of your Clapotis. I have yet to knit one of these days.
You have been working in some very advanced knittings. The Forest Path Stole looks so nice, so is your Kimono jacket.

KnitNana said...

So pretty! And now I not only want to knit one, I've gotta get those SoftTiles, too! Thanks for the link!
(((hugs)))

ruth said...

hi agnes! haven't been on your blog in awhile (for some weird reason, my blogroll dropped ALL of my Blogger links - and I was wondering why no one was updating their blogs) =P
in anycase, i have alot to catch up on with your blog. i LOVE your clap! and that's great that you got a chance to go to Stitches. i have a friend who took that same norwegian knitting class too (was it on a friday?)

Heather said...

love it...the size (of course) the color...

funny I didn't have to pin mine either...it just blocked itself when spread out.

beautiful!

Rae said...

I washed my clapotis this winter because I thought it was getting a littly dingy, but I regretted it as soon as it dried b/c the thing was as flat as a board. I used Lorna's Laces Shepherd Worsted -- it was very lofty and springy before washing. I've been wearing it bunched up loosely, etc. in the hopes that some life would return, but it hasn't. The next time I will/would choose a darker color and simply never wash it.