Monday, March 12, 2007

Bright Spring Socks and a couple of squares

The past weekend has been a wonderful one. Daylight is longer and the weather is gorgeous ... we could even swim a bit in the swimming pool! It felt like all the kids in the apartment complex had rushed to the pool already! hahaha ... It seems spring has arrived! And my Bright Spring Socks are also done. Ironically, with spring coming, it is about time for me to pack up my wool socks!


Details:
Pattern: 3k1p ribbing with strong heels (Knitter's Magazine 2003 Fall) and 64 stitches cast on
Talking about strong heel, I am not sure it was such named because it is stronger than other types of heels, or after the writer Gerdine Crawford-Strong. The magazine was several years old and would be difficult to find. Besides, the method described seems to be quite a generic one. So, I guess Gerdine Crawford-Strong wouldn't mind me sharing how to do it here.

The socks are knitted cuff down with 64 stitches cast on. When you've reached the desirable length for the leg, start working on the heel increase (A):
increase round - k1, m1, k to last heel stitch, m1, k1, k the instep stitches (32 stitches)
knit 1 round even
Continue the last 2 rounds until there are 60 stitches for the heels.
Then, start turning the heel (B) using short rows back and forth on the heel stitches:
Row 1 (RS) - k33, ssk, k1, turn
Row 2 (WS) - slip 1, p7, p2tog, p1, turn
Row 3 - slip 1, k8, ssk, k1, turn
Row 4 - slip 1, p9, p2tog, p1, turn
Repeat R3 and R4 until there are 32 stitches remaining.
Start knitting in rounds for the foot.

Using the method, you'll get a stocking stitch heel flap. But if you miss the cushy slipped stitch flap, you can definitely knit it the way you like ... or you can even add a little pattern with a different colour. Very versatile.

Yarn: Lion Brand Magic Stripes (75% wool, 25% nylon) Colour: Bright Spring Stripes
Needles: CP bamboo dpns US1.5
Start date: 02-19-2007
Finish date: 03-08-2007

After finishing the socks, I knew it was time to return to the Forest Path Stole, which I did, but not before making a couple of squares for the Blanket of Hope:


The one on the left is another square I made from the Leisure Arts Afghan booklet and it was called the Candle Tree Square (Sensations Dolcetto in Lime, 54% Wool, 24% Nylon, 22% Cotton). The one on the right is from Barbara Walker's Learn to Knit Afghan Book Square 7 Garter and Rib (Bernat Lana in Smoke, 100% Merino wool). I bought these yarns in single balls some time ago just to try them out. The Sensations Dolcetto was already discontinued. But I really like the Bernat Lana ... it's really soft and the colour I bought is really lovely. I may use it for a cardigan later.

And of course, another pair of socks were also started:
Another pattern I've always loved from Nancy Bush's Knitting on the Road ... the Traveller's Socks. Lovely intricate pattern, right?

5 comments:

twig said...

I *almost* did that same square from Barbara Walker's book but I didn't. Yours is gorgeous.

And swimming already? It was warm here today but still only in the 50's

Mimi said...

I think socks will be soon on my knitting list!:) I like all the designs from Nancy Bush's knitting on the road.

Alison said...

Beautiful squares and well the new socks, I love all things Nancy Bush, so I like them:)

Opal said...

Beautiful squares! As for the new socks, I have been wanting to make those for awhile, but I just need to find the right yarn. It'll come to me.

hege said...

Love those socks, both the Brights and the traveller's socks! And your squares are great, I really like the basket weave type patterns. I have made some swatches with a different one from Barbara Walker.