Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Which pair would you choose?

Imagine this - all your socks are available in front of you ... not a pair is in the hamper, all fresh and clean. Do you just grab a pair randomly? Have you ever noticed you always tend to reach for the same pair? When I start to pay attention, I realize that I have a preference ... the 3 Lion Brand striped socks. Surprise? They are definitely not in the buttery soft category. They are not so beautiful that would make you wow (but not too bad either and I do love the green and blue ones). Then, why?

I have thought about this. Maybe it is because I know they can stand hard wash in the washer longer. Or I know if they are worn out, I can always (as long as Lion Brand doesn't discontinue this line) get another ball of the same yarn and have another pair. For the others, I always have the idea that once they are gone, they would be gone forever. To get advantage of the sock mojo's comeback, I cast on for another Lion Brand pair:
This is the Bright Spring colourway.

I am concentrating on the Forest Path Stole knitting since I have finished the body pieces of the Sashiko Jacket. I have even sewn them all together:
My motivation for knitting the sleeves is a bit low at the moment. I was even tempted to give them up altogether and just have a Sashiko Vest. Nothing serious, just a fleeting thought. The jacket of the original design is definitely the ultimate goal to go for, I think.

11 comments:

Elspeth said...

I've noticed that too - my more delicate socks aren't worn as much. I definitely have my preferences. Great socks!

Debi said...

You've seen many of the lovely socks I knit for my Mom....she finally confessed to me the pair she reaches for most often: sockotta in a plain 2x2 rib in a nothing special mostly black with a touch of yellow and red and blue colorway. I made em as my first attempt at short row heels experiment and I can't get them off her feet! She even has cashmere socks which do get their day in the sun but a lot less often than the sockotta!

Dipsy said...

Oh my gosh, this jacket is going to be so beautiful, what an awesome pattern!
And mind you, I've noticed that too that I wear my more "spectacular" socks not half as often as the others - there are preferences indeed that usually go for the more basic ones, and I tend to wear the special socks only for special occasions.

joy said...

I choose by color first, but given several in the same shade, I go for easy-care too, or ones that didn't take as long to knit. :-)

hege said...

Good point about the socks! Those are quite attractive, too, I will have to look for some of that yarn. The Sashiko jacket is looking just gorgeous! I know I talked in the past of doing one, and I am still thinking about it (just so many things on the needles at the moment). Those blues are so beautiful. I say keep going and do the sleeves, you will be so elegant!

Joanna said...

Wow, the Sashiko jacket looks amazing! I always have that moment where I wonder if sleeves are reeeeally necessary, too... but then I slog my way through them and I'm always happier in the end. :)

Peggy said...

Add oil with the sleeves! I just googled Shashiko Vest and the sleeves are amazing!

Opal said...

The jacket is going to look magnificent! I love the colours of that Lion Brand yarn. No wonder you keep reaching for them.

Knittinreed said...

Sachiko Jacket is looking stunning!!!!! Wow!

Hmmm - socks - I always grab the little cotton blend Senso pair I knit. My LL sit there asking to be worn....

crissy said...

i have to get busy and knit me some socks soon i am down to one pair of hand knits left. grrrrr. so of course the ones i grab the most are those . LOL and i have a drawer full of sotre boughts thanks to hubby who noticed i had barely any oh goodie fill my drawer full of store boughts well dont that take away the want to knit more socks insentive LOL love the yarn you picked out and hey that sweater is awesome wowwwwww

Beth said...

I've been back to your site many times over the past few days looking at that jacket. FAB!

I don't know what's up with the extra stitch. I'm going to try again tomorrow.

Can't today because it's my big teaching day at the shop and it's also Maggie's 6th B-Day so we're celebrating that tonight.

I'll let you know if I get smart enough to figure it out.
I'd rather do nupps :(