Monday, February 26, 2007

Learning something new

This was taken last Thursday, one day before I took part in this year's Stitches West. I thought, once again, this was going to be a rainy Stitches. However, to my great delight, the sky cleared up on Friday and we actually had a beautiful day.

For the first time, I took a class in Stitches. Many "hot" classes were full very early, but I found one that sounded very interesting to me ... Norwegian Knitting. It couldn't be a better one for me ... I learned a lot. First, I learned to knit in the continental way. It is not that I don't know how to do it, but out of habit, whenever I pick up the needles and knit something, I would do it in the way I used to ... the English way. So, in the class, I was forced to use the way I was not used to. I am sure with more practice, I would do better. I am thinking I would knit a square in the continental way for the Blanket of Hope.

Then, I learned a lot of the basics of Norwegian knitting ... stranding 2 colours using both hands, the difference created by holding 2 colours with different hands, steeking ... etc. But the most important of all, and of the most relevance to my current project (the Sashiko Jacket), is how to trap yarns on both hands. This is important to the knitting of the jacket's sleeves because the long floating of yarns on the wrong side would great problem, especially in the sleeves.

Of course, Stitches was also the designated free day to buy yarns. But this was a bit of a disappointment to me. What I wanted to get most was Wool-Ease for my Great American Aran Afghan. However, Jo-Ann was having a sale on Wool-Ease, so almost all colours were gone, not to mention the Natural Heather I wanted. And then, the one Micheal's convenient to me was closed down ... and I just discovered that day! But I did get some silk lace and sock yarns from Tess' Designer Yarns ... and almost all the sock patterns by Cookie in the Stitches Market.

Lastly, I did make great progress on the Forest Path Stole:
Just finished the 10th tier last night! Yay yay yay!

12 comments:

Opal said...

I'm so glad you had a good time at your class! Your FPS is looking gorgeous! I'm itching to start mine.

hege said...

Lucky you going to Stitches! I went once about ten years ago (!) and I bought so much stuff... But now they have moved it even farther away, so I don't think I can go. 8 hours to drive is a bit too far. The class you took sounds great! Hope you get to use everything you learned, color knitting is fun! :) Your stole is looking amazing.

Dipsy said...

Oh, lucky you for being able to go to Stitches West! The class you took sounds so very interesting - I'd have taken that in an instant too and I sure can imagine that you've learned a lot there! I'm quite curious to see you using what you've learned!
Your stole looks absolutely awesome already!

Debi said...

Your stole looks amazing!

I am SO JEALOUS!!! I so want Cookie's patterns! I can't wait to see you knit them!

Alison said...

Wow, tier 10? You're moving right along. Looking really nice!

crissy said...

what an awesome adventure lucky you . and your Forest path stole is looking good :)

KnitSanity said...

Your stole is looking great, Agnes. Are you finding it difficult to work with black?

I wish we had something like Stitches where I live. :(
Colette

Cookie said...

I finally get to catch up on some blogs! Your Forest Path Stole is looking really good. I haven't seen one in a dark color before, but I think that will be wonderfully dramatic. And thanks for stopping by the booth!

alltangledup said...

damn, that's progress. I have a lot of catching up to do.. mine is also going to be black zephyr.

Rebekah said...

I'm jealous! Not only of Stitches but how much progress you've made on the Stole.

Jo said...

I am jealous as well! I was lucky enough to go to Stitches East in November and don't want to have to wait another year (well, 9 months now) to go again!

opportunityknits said...

Your FPS looks so gorgeous in black. That reminds me that I have to re-start my black lace shawl.