Sunday, February 18, 2007

Beaded Rib Grey Socks

Finally I got my first pair of socks for this year done! This may be my personal record for socks. I think one reason is the yarn ... the Opal Uni is soooo thin! Really, almost feels like lace weight! Plus the long foot and leg ... oh my! But I am happy happy that the socks are done and most importantly, they fit.


Details:
Pattern: Toe-up Beaded Rib from Sensational Knitted Socks
I started with a 16-stitch easy toe and increased stitches until there are 80. I read about all these different ways to cast on for toe-up socks and thought I had to try them out to really know which one was best for me ... and oh, now I know I don't like easy-toe! :) The same with the Middle East cast on from the latest IK.

Yarn: Opal Uni Grey (75% Wool, 25% Polyamide)
This is my first time using Opal yarn and my feeling is that it is not that different from the sock yarns I got from Elann. If I compare it with Socks That Rock yarns, of course the Opal yarn is a lot less soft and smooth. But I expect it to behave like the Elann sock yarns - soften significantly with wash and extremely durable. So, though it tends to be a bit splitty, I have no complaint.

Gauge and Needles: Crystal Palace bamboo dpns US0 for foot (10 sts for 1") and US1 for heel and leg.

Start Date: 11-04-2006
Finish Date: 02-17-2007

As I have told you before, I wanted to make the entrelac knee socks from the latest IK. And I did. However, after knitting up to the first tier of rectangles, I realized it was not a very good idea ... at least not for me. The selvedge edges that would go to the inside of the socks ... wouldn't that make it uncomfortable on the sole?

11 comments:

marirob said...

Your socks are so professional looking and amazing - I'm sure your husband will enjoy them lots.

I wish I could help you on the entrelac question, but I've never attempted entrelac. :(

Elspeth said...

Nice socks!

twig said...

The socks look great. But I can't believe it's the middle of February and you're just finishing your first pair. I have no room to talk, though. My first pair of the year is knit in worsted weight and still not done.

Emma said...

Wow, those are gorgeous socks!

Opal said...

Those are a really handsome pair of socks. I've never really thought that entrelac socks were a good idea, but who knows? Maybe they do work!

Debi said...

Nice socks! You're a good wife :)

The entrelac socks I knit put the selvages to the RS so they are comfy. I too would think selvages in the inside would make for some discomfort!

Alison said...

I'm going to eventually try those entrelac socks, so I'll let you know how uncomfortable they are. I think my feet would just adjust, but I can see how they would annoy some. Nice new socks! Very simple/elegant.

Siow Chin said...

This is a very fitting pair of hubby socks. I'm hope it'll get lots of wear. I'm intrigued by the entrelac socks too and can't wait to receive the mag.

Siow Chin said...

My comment got swallowed by Blogger... I meant to say this is a very fitting pair of hubby socks and hope they'll get lots of wear. I'm intrigued by the entrelac socks too and can't wait to receive the mag.

Peggy said...

The hubby socks fit perfectly! I've yet to try toe-up socks but I think it's the best way to minimize waste yarn.

Dipsy said...

These socks are absolutely fantastic - they look totally professional and wow, I'm impressed by how neatly and evenly you knit, especially with this really thin yarn! Very beautiful indeed!