Wednesday, January 17, 2007

More haste, Less speed

Sometimes we just have to listen to our ancestors. Since I really wanted to finish the body pieces of Husband's sweater ASAP, I pushed myself really hard. While it seemed pretty optimistic that I would be able to finish the front piece on Monday night, I discovered a dropped stitch! No big deal ... just take out the crochet hook and pick it back up, I think. Nope! At least I discovered that this didn't work that well with fine gauge knits. *Sigh* More haste, less speed, people!

So ripping back I did. What wasted time was not the ripping, but putting the stitches back onto the needles ... 134 small ones! Luckily, American Idol is back and I was able to finish the front piece in a merry mood (at the expense of those aspiring American-Idol wannabes, I regret to say!). Now I have 2 weeks to stay on the sleeve island (before the FPS KAL starts). Hopefully, I won't have to spend the whole 2 weeks knitting up the sleeves, but the finishing as well. Since the visual difference of my progress is not that significant, I spare myself the agony of photographing the deep green. ;)

The weather here has been unseasonably cold. When we left at around 9 in the morning, the temperature would still be about 35F - 37F ... with the sun shining brightly. Such low temperature is not unheard of here, but lasting for such a long time (4-5 days) is really a first for me. Besides, the humidity has been extremely low too. What would happen on such weather conditions is that Husband would be highly charged with static electricity ... especially when he wears wool! On Monday, when he wore a merino sweater and wool socks to work, he was so annoyed by the static shocks he got that he refused to wear anything wool afterwards. This is also why he is usually not overtly enthusiastically about my knitting woolly stuff for him! :D Well, I don't blame him.

7 comments:

Mimi said...

I am often ripping back my knits due to mistakes when I rush my knits! I find that picking up the stitches back with a thinner needle makes the process a bit easier.

alltangledup said...

how right you are... it's not the ripping (traumatic though it is), it's getting all the stitches back on that is just a nightmare

Alison said...

I had to frog about 5 rows of Hidcote recently because I was rushing and working on it while sick. (Not too bright at times.) I think if I just do a few rows at a time I can finish it in plenty of time to pick my FPS back up for the KAL. Good luck with the sweater!

Anonymous said...

Ah - the frog pond! So sorry. I used to live in the bay area for 11 years. I wonder if our paths ever crossed in a class, at Stitches West or at a LYS.

twig said...

Awwww...It's not the wool's fault. Your husband just has an electric personality.

Anonymous said...

Too bad about ripping back! It happens to me when I rush too.
The Ogee Tunic is fabulous! That will keep you warm during this wierd weather.

Dipsy D. said...

Oops - I'm sorry to read about the ripping, and I *so* hear you! I'm often rushing along with my knitting, and it never worked out so far - as soon as I begin to hurry, I'm doing mistakes and it's a nightmare indeed - and, as you said, not so much the ripping itself which is a pretty quick task, but putting the stitches onto the needles again, argh! I found out that it works a tad better if you're taking needles a size smaller for that - but still...