Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Let's turn our attention

... from the sleeves to the neck for a while. When I finished Husband's last sweater, I already set my mind on making the beautiful neckband the next time I make a sweater. The very resourceful and helpful Debi taught me how to make it in her comment ... which I always keep in my mind. Now, here it is ... I've made that lovely neat neckband!


Knit double the desired length for the neckband.


Put the live stitches on a spare yarn,
turn the neckband to the wrong side,
use pins or stitch markers to stable the position.


Sew the live stitches to the pick-up row.


Mission accomplished!

Conclusion: For light weight yarns, this is really the best way to make a crew neckband because without having to bind off, the collar is comfortably stretchy.

9 comments:

Toni said...

What a great neckline solution! I wonder how stretchy it would be if you bound off the neckline stitches as you knit them (by picking up stitches) to the pickup row. I've made tucks in various things that way and it seemed stretchy enough.

opportunityknits said...

Oh, I like this neckband, thanks for sharing!

Debi said...

It looks fabulous Agnes!! Great tutorial too! :)

joy said...

Beautiful job! I'll definitely keep this neckband in mind, since we're a big-headed family. ;-)

Dipsy D. said...

Wow, this is perfect, absolutely!

Anonymous said...

Lovely collar! I'll have to remember that if ever I do another sweater!

Mimi said...

That's a neat neckband! I had used this technique long time ago and forget about it. Will sure keep it in mind. ;)

Petra said...

Thanks a lot for showing that with the photos. I once had the problem that a turned over neckband became too tight because I had first bind off the neckband. Now I know better :-)
Looks great BTW!

Best wishes
Petra

Liz said...

It is a great neckband isn't it? I used in on a sweater a long time ago and I love the way it feels and looks. So polished and finished looking.