Friday, January 26, 2007

Husband's Sweater ... finally!

One of the really good things I feel about finishing this sweater is that it doesn't take me a WHOLE full year to do so! I first started this project in February last year with a gauge of 8.5 stitches to an inch. After decreasing for the armholes in the back, I found that I didn't like the really tight gauge. So, I ripped the whole thing and started again with a larger needle. Felt a bit bummed at the time, but you know, you just get over it. The new gauge is 7 stitches to an inch ... that helped! The knitting went a bit faster ... comparatively, at least.

I was done with the finishing late last night so Husband hasn't tried it on yet. So, no model shots ... ;) It's going to rain this weekend, so he would feel happier wearing this. But I am happy that the daylight helped to bring out the true colour of the sweater.

Details:
Pattern: Crew neck sweater pattern generated by Sweater Wizard.
Ann Budd's pattern book should be enough if I chose to get the looser gauge right at the beginning. But when I played a bit with the software, I found that it actually allows much greater flexibility in generating customized pattern. You can change almost everything to get the size you want.

Yarn: Deluxe 100% Wool from Taiga Yarns 9 balls with extra for neckband
This yarn is their No. 1 bestselling yarn and there are reasons to this - quality and price ... you get the best of both. The wool is soft and pleasant to work with. After frogging the first attempt, I had to wash the yarn to get rid of the curling (result of the tight gauge). But the washed yarn works just fine as new. For less than $3 you can get more than 200 yards ... really a good deal. I am certainly I would use this again.

Gauge and Needles: 7 sts to 1 inch using Addi 3.25mm over stocking stitch; Addi 3mm for neckband

First Start Date: 02-10-2006
Second Start Date: 11-11-2006
Finish Date: 01-25-2007

12 comments:

Rebekah said...

It's great looking. Congratulations on finishing it. Just in time for the Forest Path Stole!

opportunityknits said...

congratulations Agnes, it took a lot of yarn but you did it! It looks soft and comfy and likely to become a favourite sweater.

joy said...

Applause for the perseverance!! I hope your husband wears it a LOT! ;-)

Joanna said...

Looks great, congrats on getting through it - you have much more patience than I do! ;)

twig said...

Gorgeous. Well worth the wait, I'd say.

Elizabeth said...

It's a great looking sweater. and I had never heard of that yarn before, so now I'm in more trouble than ever. Yet one more source of good basic inexpensive wool.

alltangledup said...

it's lovely agnes! All that plain stocking stitch in dark yarn .. my goodess it must had been boring to knit! I love the collar, it's perfect

Knittinreed said...

Oh, it looks fabulous! I bet your DH will looooooooove it.

Dipsy said...

Absolutely beautiful, and congratulations on getting through with it - it was definitely worth it!

Alison said...

Wonderful job!

Jeanne said...

Very nice - great color. Congrats on finishing it. And thanks for the yarn recommendation!

Liz said...

Oh, that is BEAUTIFUL Agnes! WOW! I can't wait to see the photos of your hubby wearing it! It's very rich looking and that color is amazing.

YOu did a fabulous job!