Friday, December 08, 2006

Sirens' Heart Gloves and Stranded

Maybe because I knew in advance that the Unst Lace Stole was not going to be an easy piece of cake, I wasn't too bothered by the false starts with the project. But I'd really love to thank you for the comforting encouragement. This definitely is one of the incentives for keeping this blog running ... I can share with you if I get successful, and I know I can vent a little if I screw up ... :D

So, I just browsed through the new Knitty patterns ... lots of colourwork, people. 2006 has been labelled "the year of the sock" ... I am wondering if 2007 would be "the year of colourwork"? Not to be the latecomer this time, I finished my first fair isle project:
(Did I look like holding out my hands to be cuffed by the law enforcement? Hahaha ...) They haven't been blocked yet. Since a storm system is coming our way, I am not sure if I would block them soon. Further, my definition of "finished" here is quite liberal. The gloves are done and all the loose ends weaved in. But they are not really finished in the sense that there are still lots of embellishment to be done if I want to get the really colourful gloves I see in the book. Right now, I tend to leave the gloves as they are ... since I find them quite lovely already.

Details:
Pattern: Sirens' Heart Fingerless Gloves designed by Mette N. Handberg from Norsk Strikkedesign
I think this is quite a famous Norwegian design pattern book and you can see all the patterns on the link above. The patterns are all so lovely that it is really hard to resist ... but it would be stupid to jump into a large project without knowing anything about fair isle knitting. So, I just got a small kit to try it out. Now I can tell you that I like it ... any maybe I'm ready for more. ;)
There is only one thing I don't like about the pattern instructions, which tell you to bind off the stitches and then pick up stitches later for the fingers. This doesn't sound too good to someone who really doesn't like picking up stitches. So I turned to Ann Budd's basic pattern book instead.
The original pattern has a "1998" on the palm side. It would make better sense to knit 2006 instead, but I want something else. So, I charted the word "love" ... and learned, after finished the first glove, that it was not a good idea to knit the word in the lower case. Therefore, I just knitted the second palm in black and red stripes. Simpler, you know.

Yarn: Rauma Finullgarn (100% Norwegian 2-ply wool) Colours: 436 (Black); 428 (Deep Red); 418 (Red)
On first touching this yarn, you may feel that they are rough. I haven't blocked the gloves yet, so I don't know if the yarn would soften after wash. However, when I was knitting the gloves during the very cold nights, I understood that this is a very good quality yarn which can really keep you warm. And strangely enough, I can get almost perfect gauge!

Gauge and Needles: 26 sts to 4" on US2; CP bamboo dpns US2 for glove palms, US1 for cuffs and fingers and US1.5 for binding off

Start date: 11-29-2006
Finish date: 12-07-2006

While browsing the knitting blogsland, I ran into this KAL and ... (hem hem) joined! This is a little bit get-to-know-you:

What are your projects for this knitalong?
My first planned project is the Sirens' Heart, which has been finished. It has been a really good trying out project for colourwork. Now, my next task to tackle is the Sashiko Jacket, not as colourful as the Norwegian designs, but one that I've been longing to do. Actually, I've started:

Is this your first colorwork project? If it isn't, what was your first, and has it survived the test of time?
My first colourwork project was an intarsia one using cotton yarns ... and it has been crazy with all those yarns hanging around. Fair isle is very different from intarsia ... and seems saner to me! hahaha ... Besides, working with wool helps keeping one's sanity too.

10 comments:

Jen said...

Those are cute little gloves! Great job on your first colorwork. The Sashiko Jacket is going to be stunning!

Debi said...

Adorable gloves!

Ok now, allow me a small FREAK OUT....did you just write you don't like picking up stitches? You who is about to embark on a whole lotta entrelac which is a whole lotta picking up stitches? Ut oh, I'm scared Agnes! :)

Toni said...

I love those! I've heard good things about the Rauma (sp?) yarn too.

twig said...

The gloves are wonderful! Good job.

alltangledup said...

I've been thinking about the Sashiko Jacket, every now and then but the thought of all those ends to sew in have put me off. good luck wiht yours, It should be gorgeous

Holly Burnham said...

My daughter-in-law would love those gloves....good job!

Rebekah said...

Oh i love those gloves! I'm gonna have to go check out the new knitty.

joy said...

Those are such pretty and eye- catching gloves. What an excellent first fair isle project! :-)

Mimi said...

Great job on your gloves, they look so cheerful! The Sashiko jacket looks intricate, it's a good choice.

claudia said...

Those are incredibly cute mitts. Nice!