Friday, December 01, 2006

People, it IS exhausting!

I am talking about sewing. Not the sewing with the machine, but all those prep work. I spent a good portion of today cutting up the pattern paper, the fabrics, the lining and the interfacing. There is still a bit of cutting left to be done ... the cotton batting. I have to stop because I felt soooo tired. ::whew::


I am making this. I know ... it's an intermediate skill level project, so most probably I'll have to struggle along the way. But I really love to have something like that, none of which seems to be available ready made in the market. (Please don't tell me if it does exist ... I have cut up all the fabrics for sewing already! ;))

I also have problem using that rotary blade ... which doesn't seem to work well with lengthy stretch of cutting. I ended up using the scissors more.

The blue patterned fabrics would be the main one for the pillow and the others are for lining. They are all remnants I got cheap from Jo-Ann's. So, even if I am not successful, it won't be too costly. :D I am wondering how long this project would take me! Oh, how I wish I would get as good in sewing as Diana. Have you seen the coat she made recently?

7 comments:

twig said...

Ah. You can do it. Never pay attention to the skill level ratings!

Debi said...

It will be so cute when it's finished!

opportunityknits said...

You're right, Agnes, sometimes it feels like the prep work takes longer than the actual sewing, for me at least. Yes, I agree with twig, don't bother about the sewing rating. And that project is such a nifty thing - perfect for reading while you knit because it has those straps to keep the book flat.

Laura.Y said...

Nice userful pattern. You can do it! Sewing is very different from knitting in terms of preparation work. It took me a while to get use to that.

Mimi said...

it looks to be a fun project and very usueful as well. If I had more time I would go for some sewing.

Dipsy D. said...

The sewing pillow that you're going to make is really awesome, I bet this will come in very handy! I do admire you for having the nerve to do all this prep work - I think this was what turned me off sewing when I was about to try it a couple of years back. But then again - the results are so worth it!

Rebekah said...

Cute pillow, I'm sure it'll come out fine. Plus like you said, it's unique, if you make a mistake no one will notice because they've never seen one before.