Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Never boring

Have you started your Christmas decoration?
I don't think Husband would be very pleased with this mantle decoration! Hahaha ... so, once the picture was taken, it was back to the knitting basket. This is the start of the Diagonal-twist Princess-seam Jacket from Loop-D-Loop.

I have tried researching anything I could get about this pattern on the internet, but except some photos from the book, there is not much else. Either knitters who have made this don't keep a blog or webpage or not many knitters do make this. So I don't get too much help.

But my greatest problem is the gauge. I am using the same yarn used in the book, which should yield a gauge of 12 sts per 4" over Diagonal Twist Rib (see the photo below) using US10.5. Me? I am using US15! and the gauge is still a bit off ... on the smaller side.
I feel that this orange colour doesn't give the twist pattern as well as the yellowish colour in the book. However, I am still having fun working on this pattern. As with many Teva Durham's patterns, it's always interesting to work along and try to see how things would work out.

Now, my only worry is whether the jacket would fit well. But blocking should do the magic, I hope. ;)

10 comments:

twig said...

Wow, that's quite a jump in needle size to get the same gauge. I've not seen that jacket. I'll be looking forward to seeing it unfold as you knit it.

Elspeth said...

I love that yarn - it is truly one of my top 10 favorites!

joy said...

Yay, you found the yarn needed for that jacket. I quite like the jacket, but maybe the weird gauge put me off finding a yarn substitute. It'll be fun watching your progress.

opportunityknits said...

Wow, that's quite a difference in needle size. Hope it works out, Agnes.

Dipsy D. said...

Oh, but what a unique decoration! ;) This yarn is absolutely amazing, I can't wait to see how the jacket is going to look with it!

Jennifer said...

I think there should be no problem with the mantle decoration. :-)

mel said...

Awesome - I love that you are making this; it's a gorgeous pattern and I can't wait to see how it turns out. Looks great so far - good luck!!

Jerry said...

You and I seem to have the same gauge Gremlin. There's times I end up uisng a size far different than would seem logical. I like the yarn.

Your Fair Isle mitts are fantastic!!! Very nice :-)

Mimi said...

Maybe the pattern gauge is not right. It should help if you measure your work against a previous knit that fits you.

somebunnysloveDOTcom said...

My gauge would be opposite of yours. I knit so loosely now, that I had to use 3.00mm needles to make Knitty's Fetching!! UGH. I would rather be tighter like your gauge is. :(
=:8