Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Be very careful with what you wish for

... because you'll get it alright! Remember I said I wanted something more "challenging" in my new lace project? Since I am not going to start the Forest Path Stole until February (yeah ... along with those of you who are also interested ... look out for the details next week ;)), I attempted the Unst Lace Stole, whose swatch you've seen. How was it going? These are two of the messes I got:
I am not a tiny bit exaggerating when I said I was frustrated. For one time, I went as far as Row 16 ... then one miss, I had to frog ... which was extremely difficult. I even resorted to straight needles, as I discovered that circular needles, the thin yarn and the thousands YOs don't get along well. Straight needles! But still, I couldn't even get past half of the pattern repeat. My gut told me that it was the yarn. I am just not up to the challenge of knitting with almost invisible yarn yet.

So, off to the stash the yarn goes! I had better get my fair isle gloves finished first as they would be useful immediately!

5 comments:

Debi said...

That, my dear, is why I never knit with anything thinner than fingering weight! No laceweight for me, cobweb...HA! Life's to short for knitting to be that frustrating!

The FPS should be a piece of cake after that tho :)

opportunityknits said...

Agnes, just hang in there. If it doesn't work this time, never mind, just wait, and it will work some other time. I almost gave away this threadlike mohair yarn because it refused to work, then months later, I cast on again and it just knitted away. Now, fairisle is something I haven't tried yet :)

twig said...

Lace on laceweight or thinner yarn hates me. I can empathize with you.

Mimi said...

I can't work with thin yarn, that's why you haven't seen real shawls from me! :) I know what you mean by the thousand yo's in circular needles.
However,like Erin said, you should give a second try since you have mastered your other pretty lace works.

Rebekah said...

sometimes postponing a project is the nicest thing you can do for yourself and for the project. Good choice.