Monday, November 20, 2006

Lace Swatching

I have decided. I am going to make both Unst Lace Stole and Forest Path Stole. Since Debi(Pumpkin's mom) is also interested in working on Forest Path Stole, we would knit along together on this project. And if there are more of you interested in this, we may even start a KAL. But all that would have to wait until after the holidays seasons.

That means for the time being, I can play around with Unst Lace Stole. To show you how serious I am in treating this heirloom lace project, I hereby present you a swatch (Woo! my first ever swatch for lace project):


This is by far the thinnest yarn I've ever used ... I figure it must be cobweb weight. It is called "Heaven" ... 45% Tencel 55% Merino Wool. It was unfortunate that at the time of composing this post, the Yarn Place page wasn't working properly. You may try again later ... that's the place where I got this yarn. I used KnitPicks Classic Circular US1 for the swatch. What do you think? Before this, I used US3 and swatched on the Forest Path patterns ... with not so impressive results. I think US1, or even US0, should be the better needle size.

As for my sewing adventures, I did finish my first project using the sewing machine. Well, not really a project ... just mending a split seam on Husband's pj pants! :D I tried doing that with hand sewing before ... but the frayed edges were just too discouraging for hand sewing! With the machine, 10 seconds and boom! Mission accomplished! I also found a fantastic project here. Isn't that a clever idea? (Okay, I admit ... I am a secret admirer of MS ... even though some of her personality traits are not that adorable. :P) So, I am off to TJMaxx this afternoon.

11 comments:

Lynette said...

It really does remind me of a cobweb. Amazing that you are using US1 needles. It would take me forever.

Have fun with the sewing. That seems to be the latest crafty rage.

alltangledup said...

if you're planning to start the Forest path stole in the New year, please count me in. I've been thinking about doing it for the longest time but have been put off by the entrelac..something which I have never managed to do properly.

ruth said...

oooh, cobweb!!!! =)

claudia said...

Better you than me on the cobweb lace. My next project will be bulky!

Anonymous said...

That is going to be so beautiful! I am so amazed at all your beautiful lace projects! (Pssst, I am a Martha Stewart fan, too :)

Mimi said...

I think it was hard to pick just one of those gorgeous stoles! I am still afraid of very thin yarn...

Debi said...

I think it looks great the way it is, I think the stockinette looks good, smooth and not too open and the "webby" parts should look open! Love the color too!

I'm excited Polly wants to join us! Since it's almost December do you want a Jan. 1 start date? or Feb 1...and we can both post on our blogs together to see if there is an KAL interest!!

Siow Chin said...

I've been always wanting to knit the Forest Path Stole too, ever since it was published in IK. But it's not a portable project (the yarn I have for it is in a cone) and requires a lot of attention. But if you start next year say Jan or even Feb, I might just join you. But I'll be one participant who might not finish......

alice said...

beautiful color! your swatch looks great on that needles size. :)

Laura.Y said...

Lovely lace! Color is gorgeous! hehe another one getting hooked with sewing? :)

somebunnysloveDOTcom said...

Hello my dear friend! Please count me in the Forest Path Stole KAL. I have my IK2003 issue, yarn, and needles all ready to go. :)
=:8