Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Ene's Scarf

Well, perhaps I need to clarify ... I don't and haven't knitted in my sleep! :D Actually, I started this project way back at the end of September ... worked half of Chart 1 (about 10 rows) and then it was put aside until around the time I first post about it.

But it is true that I can sometimes get carried away and knit really fast with lace projects. It is the feeling that you just can't stop ... can't put the needles down. I always had the misconception that Ene's Scarf is one difficult project and I was prepared to spend months on it. Surprisingly, it turned out to be quite a TV-watching project ... once you enter Chart 3, that is.

Does anyone of you know why Ene's Scarf was called a "scarf"? I mean, if you look at the pictures from the book, it is a huge shawl ... enough to wrap around the model. Well, mine turned out to be on the very small side ... but I still find it hard to call it a scarf. ;)



Details:
Pattern: Ene's Scarf designed by Nancy Bush from Scarf Style
Lovely pattern ... lovely design ... and well-written too. I think there is no mistake at all ... at least I didn't check for errata, but everything worked out fine. As I told you before, I love the clustered lace pattern which makes up the main body of the shawl.
The pattern states that the shawl should measure 40" along the side, unblocked. But mine measures 35" blocked. Once again, I knit tightly!

Yarn: Handpaintedyarn.com's Merino Lace (100% merino) 1 skein Colour: Sunset
Lovely handpaint merino ... very soft and warm. Husband doesn't like this colourway too much ... to earthy for him (he likes more jolly bright colours). But it is fine with me ... especially when the trees are turning yellow and red now ... ;) One skein is enough for the whole project ... this is a plus since there is no need for splicing.

Needles: Susan Bates circulars US6

Start date: 09-28-2006
Finish date: 11-11-2006

Now I am contemplating a new lace project. This time, I'd really like to attempt something more challenging. I have 2 ideas in mind: Forest Path Stole and Unst Lace Stole. Not decided yet.

P.S. I have added comments moderation because yesterday I received the first really outrageous spam comment ever ... which of course has been deleted. I think the moderation would not affect those who really want to comment ... and I hope it would stop any further spam. ::Fingers crossed::

17 comments:

alltangledup said...

it's so pretty and in such a cheery shade too. I was wondering what it was a scarf too since it looks like a shawl to me.

Toni said...

How beautiful! Love that color! I thought it looked rather large in the book--like how would I wear it as a scarf? :)

marirob said...

I think the color is bee-yoo-tee-full. I love warm autumn colors. Great job!

Yarngirl said...

I've often wondered the same thing - it is kinda big for a scarf. It's beautiful!!!

Jennifer said...

Gorgeous!

opportunityknits said...

I like the size. It meets nicely in front and doesn't overwhelm your frame. Lovely. I'm glad to know that chart 3 is good for tv watching.

joy said...

Just the right size, and the color looks great over black!

Siow Chin said...

Beautiful! I've been meaning to knit this from the chinse fingering weight yarn that my husband got me but as I have only 2 balls with no idea of yardage, I'm so afraid of running out of yarn.

Debi said...

It's stunning Agnes! It's a perfect shawlette and looks great on you! I have the Forest Path Stole on my to do list but I need to finish up some holiday knitting...if you wait til after the holiday I'll knit it with you!

Mimi said...

Ene's scarf turn out to be lovely in it's design, size and color. I had the same question of it being called as a scarf.
Both of your new shawls in the list are gorgeous. The forest one has a very unique design.

twig said...

Gorgeous. I love the color.

Peggy said...

It's very pretty, the color is beautiful! I've had my eye on this pattern for some time too...
BTW, I also got that nasty SPAM message. Bah to them.

alice said...

Lovely--beautiful color!

Jeanne said...

Beautiful - I'm going to have to add this to my list. I love the color, and think the size is perfect.

Alison said...

Really beautiful scarf! I would join a Forest Path Stole KAL. I started it a few months ago, but it's been put on hold for other insane projects. I'd love to have something encourage me to get it back out though.

Karen said...

I have that book as well and have that pattern checked as one I would like to knit. It did not take you too long so maybe I will cast on soon. Your "scarf" looks lovely!

Dipsy D. said...

Once more you knitted up a really gorgeous piece of art - it's awesome, absolutely! I totally love the color as well as the pattern, and the size of it seems to be just perfect! Very well done!