Monday, October 09, 2006

Socktoberfest 2006 ... finally


I don't know what happened to me this year ... I seem to be late to everything. Maybe I have just picked up the habit from *someone* ... ;) So here is my Socktoberfest 2006 Debut.

What was your first pair? How have they "held up" over time?
This is the first pair of socks I ever knitted. They didn't get too much use ... because I was not too good with adjusting the needles to get the right size, so it tured out they are a bit loose and tend to be big ... for my husband. Besides, he doesn't like the colourway too much. He prefers solid colours.

What would you have done differently?
I followed the pattern in Sally Melville's basic sock pattern in one of her books ... can't remember whether it's the Knit one or the Purl one. I don't like this basic pattern mainly because it requires the cutting of the yarn. Once I learned how to knit sock without cutting the yarn, I don't see why I should use her pattern again.

What yarns have you particularly enjoyed?
Since I have joined the STR sock club, I have worked with their yarns most. However, I must say the sock yarn I really really enjoy working with is Lorna's Lace Shepherd Sock ... can't tell you why, it just feels so right.
On the other hand, the socks that I enjoyed wearing most are the pair I got from my Sockapal3za pal ... mainly because they were made specifically for me, and also because the Koigu yarns are really heavenly. I am looking forward to working with this yarn.

Do you like to crochet your socks? or knit them on DPNs, 2 circulars, or using the Magic Loop method?
I have sock crocheting patterns, but I think I would not crochet socks any time soon. I always like knitting socks on DPNs. I always discovered I love working them cuff down.

Which kind of heel do you prefer? (flap? or short-row?)
It's no secret here on this blog that I like working short-row heels ... though recently I made a couple of heel-flapped socks.

How many pairs have you made?
Really, once into April, I haven't kept track of my FOs ... so I don't have a definite number. But I am quite sure it's over 10 pairs ... maybe even close to 20! Woo hoo!

This is how I started off this year's Socktoberfest:
It's again Cookie A.'s design. I just did 2 pattern repeats ... so am not sure if it shows well with the yarn. But I do love this new colourway ... Titania. ;)

4 comments:

Debi said...

Gorgeous colorway!! These are gonna be really pretty and that Cookie is a genius! I'm knitting Hedera for my Socktoberfest socks too!

hege said...

You are so productive with the socks! I didn't join socktoberfest, because I know I have too many other projects I need to finish :( Your new socks are looking beautiful, I love the colors.

Allena said...

wow don't feel bad i just posted my sock history!
i love your socks you started beautiful!

somebunnysloveDOTcom said...

I will be knitting up some socks in one of Cookie's patterns too. Granted, they will probably be my only ones, but I can say I finally knit some! Yes, I have never gone "all the way" in knitting socks. You can stop laughing now. :)
=:8