Monday, October 23, 2006

Beef on Toast

I never did any serious cooking when I was in Hong Kong. I mainly used my kitchen for making tea and instant noodles. Therefore, the question most frequently asked by my old friends is: What do you cook every day now?

I have no intention of turning this into a cooking blog, and neither do I want to start one, so I think I would write about what I cook now from time to time.

Over the years since I got married, I learned to cook bit by bit ... starting from the most simple meat pasta using store-bought sauce. So far, I have built up a few recipes that are favourites of the household. This is one of them:
We call it Beef on Toast. The picture may not look too appetizing ... but it really tastes quite good. One small onion is cut into julienne strips and sauteed using olive oil until caramelized. The beef (I usually use top sirloin steaks) is cut into strips and briefly marinated with lite soy sauce (2 tablespoons), Dijon mustard (1 tablespoon) and red wine (3 tablespoons). Using the same pan after sauteeing the onions, I sear the marinated beef strips on high heat in batches (be careful not to let the pan burn ... adjust the heat when necessary). After all the beef is seared, I return the caramelized onions and the remaining marinating juice into the pan, mix everything evenly together and heat until the sauce is thick (sometimes I would put a dollop of creme fraiche to help the thickening ... buy it at Trader Joe's ... cheaper there!). Voila ... serve them on garlic parsley toasts and your choice of salad. ;)

10 comments:

twig said...

Oh that sounds really good. I'm a sucker for wine & onions.

ruth said...

wow, that actually sounds (and looks) really good!!! (i'm salvitating now) =D
p.s. absolute nothing wrong with ramen - one of my favorite foods!! (especially the korean kinds, with the really spicy soup packet) =)

Mimi said...

I think it looks delicious! ;) I make a similar beef with onions and mushrooms and wrap with lettuce. I should serve with bread like yours for my boys to try.

hege said...

Yum! Sounds scrumptious!

Rebekah said...

Yum, looks good.

Joanna said...

Ohhh I agree... you're making me hungry! And I'm eating lunch right now! But my turkey sandwich, while perfectly fine, does not taste anywhere near as good as your beef on toast looks. :)

caitlyn said...

It looks delicious, Agnes! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Peggy said...

Blogger wouldn't let me post last night!!!
Yummy... it looks so yummy I want to make it this weekend!!! Thanks for sharing the recipe. :)......

Dipsy D. said...

Aww, this sounds so delicious! I'll make sure to try out this recipe sometime soon, thanks so much for sharing it!

Christina Sum said...

Bao told me about this and so I dug it today. Looks real yummy. Will try sometime.