Thursday, September 28, 2006

Trellis Scarf

If you have the IK that contains this pattern, you would know that none of the pictures shows the scarf with both its ends. Now we know why ... hahaha ... To be honest, even if you don't want to go through all those troubles of grafting and just follow the instructions as they are, you can still get a beautiful scarf ... just like Ruth did.

I don't usually enjoy knitting scarves. Once the pattern is established, scarf knitting can become pretty boring. Trellis is a little bit better because there are some variations in the pattern. But still, I couldn't knit for too long before I felt bored. That's why it took so long to finish it. I am happy I did because I have been aching to start a new lace project. But I told myself not to before Trellis was done. Besides, the lightweight airy scarf couldn't come in a better time to help me drive away the occasional early autumn chill.



Details:
Pattern: Trellis Scarf designed by Evelyn Clark (IK Spring 2006)
Lovely lace pattern. Except for the 2 non-matching ends, I have no complaints about this pattern. Since I didn't want to have too much leftovers, I cast on for one more pattern repeat (73 stitches). The thing I like most is the 7 into 5 cluster.

Yarn: JaggerSpun Zephyr Silk/Wool (50% fine grade Merino wool;50% Chinese Tussah silk) Col: Aegean Blue
I love this silky smooth yarn and find almost all the colours are gorgeous. However, I find it a bit heavier than other laceweight yarns, like Alpaca Cloud. Besides, I am a tighter knitter, so maybe I should have used US7 to get a more airy fabric.

Gauge and Needles: Susan Bates US6

Start date: 07-07-2006
Finish date: 09-24-2006

More shots of the scarf - indoors and outdoors:

17 comments:

opportunityknits said...

It's beautiful! Love the outdoor shots.

twig said...

Absolutely gorgeous. I'd say it was worth all the work.

ruth said...

OH, good idea to add a couple more repeats to finish up the leftovers. Silly me, I didn't even think of that (now I'm wondering what to do with the leftovers)! Plus, it would give the scarf a bit more length, which would make it better. In anycase, I think yours looks so pretty!!! If we ever get together sometime to knit, we'll have matching scarves! =)

Toni said...

So so pretty!

Siow Chin said...

Beautiful scarf! I'm with you for the scarves, they are not the most interesting thing to knit.

joy said...

What a pretty pattern, though I'm not sure I'd want to graft. ;-)
Did you just get those blocking wires? What a handy tool to have!

Mimi said...

You did a great job by matching the endings. I agree with you about scarfs, it can be a tedious knit unless there are multiple patterns in the design.

Yarngirl said...

It's beautiful - the color is just lovely - I've never done that grafting thing, but you make it look easy!

janine said...

It's really pretty. I think I actually like it better in the slightly heavier weight yarn - the one in the book is so insubstantial that you can hardly see the pattern through the fuzz.

grumperina said...

Gorgeous scarf! I'm so grateful to finally see some Trellis FOs, because you can't tell anything from the photo in IK... forget about the two different ends, I couldn't even tell what the pattern was like!

alice said...

lovely! :)

Knittinreed said...

Beautiful knitting!

Jennifer said...

It's gorgeous!

Jes said...

Absolutely gorgeous!
I hear you on the scarf knitting. Silly me thougt a stole would be easier. Yeah, no matter how you reason that one, it's not any smarter =)

I know it was endurance knitting, but it's fabulous =)

somebunnysloveDOTcom said...

I have 2 cakes of the Zephyr that wants to be "something" lacey. Maybe this is what I should make with it? Your Trellis looks great!
=:8

Kristy said...

Oooohhh, aaahhh, your Trellis scarf is beautiful!!! I love the pretty blue you chose, and don't you just love knitting with Zephyr yarn? Just lovely!

Ellen said...

Beautiful! I also knitted Trellis in Zephyr (but in 2 colors) and hated the second end, so I repeated the beginning and grafted. I started on metal needles and almost lost my mind; switched to ebony and it was much better.