Friday, September 29, 2006

Pomatomus Socks

I wonder if any of you have the same feeling ... but I always find modelling socks with a ballet foot pose very beautiful. Now, not in a million years would I be able to stand on ballet toes, but the rotating function of photo editing software enables me to make myself feel that I can do this:
Hahaha ... pretty, huh? I mean the sock! Can you notice any unusual sock feature? Another photo to help you:
Yeah, no short row heels this time. I did try though, but really, short row heels don't go well with the pattern.


Details:
Pattern: Pomatomus Socks designed by Cookie A. (Knitty Winter 2005)
Do I have to say anything more about this pattern really? At first, I thought it only goes well with solid or near-solid yarns. But I've seen lots of colourful ones, so I thought the Sockatta would be good too. The pattern is quite a challenging one. Even when I knew how it worked, I still made some mistakes from time to time. Yet, no complaint at all! I followed the pattern strictly, except for a short leg ... just 2 pattern repeats. I absolutely love these socks! So much that I may even knit another pair in wool.

Yarn: Sockotta (45% Cotton, 40% Superwash Wool, 15% Nylon) Col: 9
Good sock yarn for warm weather and love this colourway!

Gauge and Needles: 8 sts per inch using Crystal Palace bamboo DPNs US1

Start date: 09-09-2006
Finish date: 09-29-2006

Some of you asked me about using blocking wires. Actually I bought my set well before I started knitting lace from Angelika's Yarn Store (stroll past the blocking board). I found that sweaters don't really need blocking wires, but for lace, they are really useful. And I learned how to use the wires to block the pointy points of lace from Marnie ... just wonderful. I think it is a great investment. :)

9 comments:

Jeanne said...

Great socks! Love the colors.

Debi said...

adorable socks and adorable ballet feet! weren't these fun? I'm doing another of Cookie's sock for Socktoberfest...Hedera in the prettiest Fleec Artist! What are you doing?

Jennifer said...

Lurvely!!!

Knittinreed said...

Great looking socks and ballet toes :-)

Dipsy D. said...

Beautiful Pomatomus' (Pomatomi?? Poms??) - they look great! The more I see of that pattern, the more I'm convinced that this is the most gorgeous sock pattern out there!
I feel like you when it comes to modeling socks, these ballet poses are the most beautiful ones, showing the patterns (and the heel versions, especially when they're as perfect as yours) off so prettily - but heaven knows, the last time I tried such a ballet pose myself plus tried to shoot a pic of it at the same time, I almost broke my ankle... and my neck! Must be my age... ;)

knitdds said...

Wow, those socks are fantastic. I'm encouraged to know that you made them on #1's, as I don't own #2's. . .
Thanks for the inspiration. . .really, they look absolutely gorgeous!

Siow Chin said...

Yours look lovely, I really, really should try to knit a pair too.

hege said...

Beautiful p-socks! Such cheerful colors! I really like how the heel shows the striping in the yarn.

somebunnysloveDOTcom said...

Very gorgeous. The socks turned out great!
=:8