Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Yarntainer

If you wind a skein/hank of yarn into a yarn cake, how do you use it? I mean, do you knit from the centre end or from the outside end? I always knit from the outside because I think it is neater ... especially when I know I am not going to use up the whole cake of yarn. I don't have to rewind the leftovers.

The problem with knitting from the outside end first is that the yarn cake would bounce around when I pull new yarn from it during knitting. I don't know how or why, but the cake would bounce so vigorously that it would end up at the other end of the room. Even when I put it in a knitting bag, it would bounce out of the bag!

Here enters Yarntainer. Put the yarn inside a container, and there it stays. Good idea. But I didn't buy one. One thing is bothering me - how do I remove the project from a Yarntainer before using up the yarn, if I need to? If you have seen said gadget in person, you'll know that there is no other opening in the lid, except the hole in the middle. Besides, most of the photos of Yarntainers show you knitting needles tugged inside ... but if you pay enough attention, you'll find that those are idle needles without projects on them. Unless you have very little yarn left inside the container, my bet is there would not be enough room to put the project inside.

So, I know the concept of Yarntainer, not the gadget itself, is what I want. A thread in Knitter's Review (but I couldn't find it anymore!) solved my problem:
Yes! A Kleenex tissue box! I have been using mine for some time already and it works perfectly. I don't have to run to the other end of the room to retrieve the yarn anymore. I don't need to have one box for each project. Well, maybe not so perfectly ... I need to get a bigger one for bigger yarn cakes/balls.

Next time, I'll have new project to share with you. In the mean time, everyone stay cool. :)

11 comments:

twig said...

I have a couple Yarntainers. It would be nice if they had an opening that went to the side so that you could change the project in it mid-project without having to cut the yarn. I have found that tucking the working needles into the container and closing the lid on the piece of yarn coming out the top hole to the needles won't damage the yarn.

I love my yarntainers because with 3 dogs, 3 hairy, fuzzy, fluffy dogs, I can finally knit without having to spend 30 minutes picking out dog hair.

Toni said...

OMG, what a great way to recycle tissue boxes!

Dipsy D. said...

Now, this is of course a fantastic solution, and one that I will definitely adapt for me as well - thanks for sharing! I'm like you, using the yarn from the outside and ending up with the yarn cake bouncing around like mad - and I was always pretty annoyed with it! Now with your solution this shouldn't happen anymore - wow, gotta try this out right now!

Siow Chin said...

I always pull out yarn from the centre, no bouncing but the ball does get deflated. The Kleenex box idea is cool!

opportunityknits said...

I knit from the outside in and the yarn ball rolls everywhere. I wonder if there's something smaller than a Kleenex box for my projects on the go.

Liz said...

I use ziploc bags, the kind with the zipper closure and leave the corner open so I can pull the yarn with impunity. It also works well for storage as the bags are super squishable into small places, and the variety of sizes make it easy for bigger projects to fit not only the yarn but the current in progress item too.

Tissue box is a great idea though... :)

Erika said...

I'm with Liz - I use Ziplock bags, and pull the yarn from the center. As you use up the yarn, and the cake collapses, the Ziplock bag collapses to fit, so it's never a problem. And it's easy to tuck into my purse, for the away-from-home knitting.

Jason said...

I know people that just use tupperware containers. Maybe get some disposable ones. Hmmm... I gotta go get some. LOL

Jennifer said...

Oh that's a great idea! I had tried using an old plastic butter tub with a hole cut in the top but it snagged.

Becky said...

I didn't even know what a yarntainer was until I read this post. We don't have any of those here! I just use a ziploc. Bt I'm lovin' this idea you shared. I've got to try that!

jemadiknits said...

How brilliant! I can't wait to finish a box of tissues now.