Friday, August 11, 2006

Glad

Glad is the name of the mohair wrap cardigan I've been working on ... and glad is also how I'm feeling ... as it is finished! Yay!
This was taken when the heat returned to the area the last 2 days and I thought no way I would be able to model this for the blog. Luckily, this morning the temperature dropped a bit to a reasonable level and here you are ... model shot:
What do you think? I think I may need a shawl pin ... :D I like this wrap cardigan a lot. It is like a wrap or shawl with sleeves. I am still struggling to have a triangular shawl covering my arms (which are the body parts that get cold easily for me!). But with this cardigan, no such problem at all. I am happy that I used this stripy yarn for it ... as the stripes do add more interest to the cardi ... and make it more casual.

I have no idea what that shiny spot in the picture was! Tying a knot makes it look like a bolero ... a garment type I usually steer away from. But I think it looks quite well with Glad. :)

Details:
Pattern: Glad designed by Sarah Hatton from Rowan 39
I knitted the small size (34" bust) with just one minor modification. I used one needle size throughout. The knitting was mostly a breeze as the mohair grew fast on the needles. However, the picking up stitches along the 2 front pieces and the neck of the back piece is a huge pain ... mainly because I just dislike picking up stitches (that's why I love short row heels for socks!), no to mention picking up 367 stitches! I'd also like to mention that the sleeve caps fitted perfectly into the body ... no agonizing moment wondering if a good fit is possible. I just love this!

Yarn: Feza Kid Mohair (80% kid mohair and 20% nylon) 5 balls Col: 205 Shades of Blue
This is the same yarn I used for Birch. Love it. Mohair soft enough for a garment to be worn next to skin. I am itching to try the lovely mohair I bought from Artfibers ... but maybe I should take a break from mohair. What do you think? :D

Gauge and Needle: 22 sts to 10cm over stocking stitch using Denise US7.

Start Date: 07-09-2006
Finish Date: 08-09-2006

25 comments:

Lolly said...

Picking up 367 stitches?!? wow, major kudos are in order! and it is so pretty! I like the way it looks pulled over the shoulder in the 2nd photo - very chic! :)

Thanks for your tip about ArtFibers. I knew that was definitely a place to check out. I was actually on their site earlier dreaming about the yarns to buy there!

Take care~

Vanessa said...

Nice! It’s the first time i see this pattern completed and worn. Love those colorways. Great job!

Bron said...

It looks so wonderfully light & airy. :) What a lovely job you did. I agree about the self-striping yarn, it really adds a lot of interest.

Liz said...

The cardi looks fantastic on you! I love the striping. It most certainly adds interest. As for doing something other than mohair, that's up to you. Ifyou are enjoying it, keep with it. :)

twig said...

Seeing that cardi on you makes me like it even more. I like the way it's so versatile. In all three of the pictures of you modeling it, the look of it is completely different.

twig said...

Seeing that cardi on you makes me like it even more. I like the way it's so versatile. In all three of the pictures of you modeling it, the look of it is completely different.

ruth said...

wow i'm amazed you actually picked up 367 sts too. but it looks SO good!! you did a terrific job =)

opportunityknits said...

It's so lovely and versatile, Agnes! It's definitely going to be fun wearing this cardi wrap shawl.

joy said...

I love how Glad could be worn so many ways, and the stripes are great!

Laura said...

Beautiful! I love the striping effect. I think the last way of wearing it looks the best. But you can get away with tying it in the front. I think I'm to chesty to do that.

Lovely knit!

Jennifer said...

It's lovely! I love the stripes.

Becky said...

That is really pretty and it looks great on you! I love the striping on it. It really adds interest.

Alison said...

Wow, I love it! The colorway is wonderful!

bradyphrenia said...

it's so bold and beautiful! i love the happy stripeyness.

Jeanne said...

Beautiful! I love the stripes - I need to check this pattern out ...but picking up that many stiches doesn't sound like fun.

Debi said...

It's lovely Agnes! Unique with the stripes and love the versatility that you can wear it so many ways! Enjoy every stitch, you did a beautiful job!

Hooney said...

It's beautiful. I love that you can wear it several ways.

Siow Chin said...

Wow, it turns out really nice! Very chic!

somebunnysloveDOTcom said...

Gorgeous! And my tip for picking up stitches? I use a crochet hook, especially Tunisian ones!
=:8

grumperina said...

I especially like the way the sleeves fit you - they have such a nice shape and length! I think this is a pretty functional cardi/wrap/bolero/whatever :)

knit chick said...

It looks great. I love the colorway. I think you have a good reason to get a shawl pin :)

jemadiknits said...

I love you yarn choice! That is lovely.

Kathy said...

Great great colorway. You did a wonderful job. A pin would be lovely too. Isn't it great to finish a big project.

Wendy said...

Hey, that looks awesome! Fall is approaching, and I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

Wendy

claudia said...

I've been eyeing that sweater. Yours looks really good! Was it boring to knit, or OK?