Friday, August 04, 2006

Foolish Stubbornness

C'est moi! For some time, I thought I was not going to finish these socks! Foolish because I knew from the get-go that I didn't like this style of socks ... and stubborn because that was the sock club pattern that came with the yarn, so I should give it a try, I thought. Give it a try I did ... and proved myself right ... I don't like the socks! Mind you, the socks are cute to look at:
... but not so cute on my foot:
See that big freaking hole bursting open? I attribute this partly to the pattern design and partly to my larger-than-it-should-be ankle. Besides, I have already knitted a few more rounds before turning heel, the cuffs still feel like being eaten by the shoes when the latter is present. And the final and fatal blow is the left sock, aka the second sock by the order of knitting sequence. Since I have completed the first one and it fitted okay, I didn't try the second one on during the process of knitting ... why should I? Everything was the same, no? It turned out the second sock is tight! Tight in the way I wonder if there would be enough blood flowing into the left foot tight.

So, off to the frog pond they went! Most probably I would knit a pair of plain socks from the yarn. But I do like the really big buttons ... they are so big that it feels hilarious!

No hard feelings about the wasted time ... I had some good time knitting them anyway. :)

As I promised last time, there is new project. After finishing Shell Tank, I started the Lace Blouson (cover project of IK Summer 2004):
I love summer knitting ... very often you don't need to knit the sleeves and that means a lot faster! Here are close-up shots of the lace details:
The colour in the detail shots is truer to that in real life. I am using a cotton blend (50% cotton 50% rayon) called Sunrise. This yarn is rough to the hand ... but I like how it softens up after washing. Actually, from experience, cotton-rayon blend gets softer with every wash, so this would be a comfortable summer wear. :)

11 comments:

twig said...

Love the color of the top. The laciness gives it such a delicate look, too.

Siow Chin said...

This is looking good, I think it'll be much more fruitful than the socks.

Toni said...

That is an odd design for a sock with the button closure? Not very practical but the colors are nice. I'm so glad you're making the blouson top. I've always liked that design.

Dipsy D. said...

This top is going to look so gorgeous, I love the lace pattern, and the color of the yarn is so calm and warm - simply beautiful!

alltangledup said...

very disappointing to do all that work and find that you don't like the finished results.

Thanks for the link on this Russian yarn. I'm always on the look out for interesting new stuff

Jennifer said...

Wow, you are a much more tenacious knitter than I!
The tank top is looking fabulous though. What great lace detail.

Debi said...

I love this top, it's on my to do list too! I can't wait to see your version!

I must admit I'm not sorry to see those socks go, too weird and not nearly up to your cute socks standards :)

Jeanne said...

I love the top - I need to go and look at the pattern and see if I have any stash yarn that would work.

Jes said...

Cute top!

Shame about the socks. I would freak if I had that big gaping hole too. Also, I think I'm a no closure should be necessary on the sock kinda gal =)

Rebekah said...

I love that top, it's details are just beautiful.

opportunityknits said...

The tank is looking great, the lace at the top reminds me of the green gable lace. tTanks for the note about the rayon-cotton yarn. Sounds good for my weather.