Monday, July 10, 2006

Start-o-Mania Part 1

Hi all, it's Monday again! Geez! Time really flies like a stealth plane! During the past weekend, Husband was still in the music-making mode.* So, this meant I had quite some time for my own knitting indulgence. Actually I went a bit crazy and was in a "start-o-mania" mode!

Today, I would show you one of the projects started. Jason in his comment on Birch said, "Oh my gosh! Finished already? The Amazing Lace is still running. What are you going to do?" What a good question. With the completion of Birch, I decided to change partners! :D You see, during the past several months, I had been tempted by this:
See the lovely sheen? This is a cake of 2 0z (630 yards) of Zephyr Wool-Silk in Aegean Blue. I am usually not a yarn-petter ... but this Zephyr lace ... I just put it next to my laptop computer so that I could always pet it. So, it was just natural that I had to start something with it.

The problem was ... I just had one 630 yards ... not enough for a shawl. But I remembered a lovely scarf pattern from IK some time ago - Trellis Scarf. The pattern said the scarf would only use 400 yards of Alpaca Cloud. So, I thought I could make a wider one. I cast on 73 stitches and started. That was when I fell even deeper in love with this yarn! I love everything about it ... the colour, the softness, the ease of working with it ... everything! This is a perfect partnership of knitter, yarn and pattern ... all clicked perfectly. Just one afternoon and I got this:
What do you think? I read about some grievances concerning the k7tog. It was a bit tricky at the beginning, but following Evelyn Clark's advice of purling the 7 stitches more loosely the row before really helped a lot. I think it is worth the trouble when you see this loveliness:
Doesn't it look like a pinwheel or a daisy?

*Husband would like to thank every one of you who gave his music a try. He has been making music since he was a teenager. Music is one of his passions in life and he is very serious with it. So you can imagine his happiness when his latest song ranked 15th in the Trance subgenre chart. He said every one of you contributed to this (even though both of us have no idea how the songs were ranked!) ... so thank you very much!

23 comments:

twig said...

That's a lovely color. And that pinwheel portion definitely lends an eleganceness (I'm sure that's not a word!) to it. Can't wait to see the finished project -- which at this rate will be soon.

Siow Chin said...

Talk about start-o-mania! I already have numerous projects on the needles and still want to start some more ... ...

opportunityknits said...

Trellis is a lovely pattern and your blue zephyr really shines. My pink zephyr doesn't really have that sheen, maybe because the colour is very light and pale. I'm torn between starting and completing my projects.

joy said...

Trellis is so pretty! And I just have to try that yarn; it sounds lovely. Hmm, I bet my mil would like something like Trellis too. :)

Debi said...

You're right, the color is gorgeous and lends itself perfectly to the scarf pattern! This will be stunning when it's finished!

Thanx for the birthday wishes :)

Ruth said...

what a coincidence.. i just finished trellis with zephyr just late last week (its still waiting to be blocked). i used pink instead. you know, everyone dreads the k7tog's, but i agree with purling the row before and it really helps. after awhile, i started actualy looking forward to doing the k7tog's as i did the repeats... made things interesting =)

alice said...

Such a pretty stitch! I love Zephyr. :)

Jennifer said...

Trellis is very pretty! It give me some ideas to do with my Zephyr in lilac!

My kids loved your husband's music. My son especially liked his most recent song. :-)

Becky said...

Hee hee! You are so funny. I love what you wrote about petting the yarn. When you leave your laptop you can put the yarn in your pocket so you can pet it whenever you want!

Jennifer said...

Hey I'm using the exact same yarn and color! It is lovely isn't it? And uou are flying on Trellis!

katie said...

I'm so glad you got the k7tog to work! This wasn't a good first lace project for me, but maybe someday my skills will be up to it. Until then, I'll just admire yours.

Rebekah said...

OH it's really lovely, but then I'm in a lace mood right now. Although that changes with the wind.

The color is gorgeous, it's going to look breathtaking on you.

Melissa said...

Ooooh, I love Zephyr. Isn't is the best? And that pattern is gorgeous! May have to get my hands on that :)

Yarngirl said...

lovely color and the pattern is beautiful! I love zephyr.

Jason said...

Wow! You and your new teammate are already off and running! Beautiful! :-) I love that gorgeous color too. I have to go and check out Zephyr. That name has popped up left and right lately. :-)

Lynette said...

I think it looks like a pinwheel. Agean blue, that's a gorgeous color and name.

Dipsy said...

Holy Cow, this yarn is really amazing - and "Aegean Blue" fits it perfectly, the ocean there is really this color!
I can't believe how gorgeous your Trellis is - you know, I'm totally addicted to lace knitting (even if it's just socks for me so far), and seeing this pattern "in action" sure blows me away. The k7tog sounds pretty tricky indeed, but the way you handled it it's just perfect! Beautiful work!

Mimi said...

Wool and silk sounds wonderful for lace knitting. The blue color you chose is very pretty, so is the pattern.

Casey said...

What pretty yarn! I didn't know a K7tog was even possible. It looks really pretty.

Peggy said...

The lace pattern is beautiful! I thought the Trellis was triangular (since it's all scrunched up in the IK photo) but it's nice. I agree, the color is beautiful!

Carie said...

Wow your Trellis looks lovely and your zipping through it so fast! My trellis is going very very slowly indeed! But then I am doing it in KSH which takes just a little time to unpick!!!
Looking forward to seeing the finished scarf

Jeanne said...

That's such a pretty color - and the scarf is beautiful! And thanks for posting about this pattern - I just got a hank of Knit Picks shadow and it will be perfect for this scarf!

Annie said...

I sent a skein of this yarn to my One Skein pal last month, and am now coveting some for myself- beautiful work!!