Monday, July 31, 2006

I learned this from Claudia

... that if you want to have an early idea of how a cardigan would fit, knit the back, one front and one sleeve first. I know from my mother that this is also a tailor shop practice. If you order a custom-made suit, you would need to go back to the shop to try on a basted version of your suit. Any possible problems or unfit parts would be fixed then.
It seems everything is okay. :D

Since there is no "the-fitting-of-the-cardigan-sucks" blog fodder, I am going to show you something else that sucks. Remember my first handspun yarns? I finally got to set the twist during the weekend ... and really learned a lot by examining them. First, look:
This ugly swatch was knitted with 4mm needles. Obviously I had some severely over-twisted sections ... especially the thinner ones. Then, needless to say, the thickness is highly irregular. Yesterday, I spun a bit more using the hand-dyed merino I got from Hello Yarn when I ordered my spindle kit:
This time, I paid special attention to the amount of fibre I drafted for twisting, aiming at a more regular thickness throughout. Besides, I learned to use my fingers to feel along the twisted yarn to see if the twists were enough or too much. I think I definitely improved a bit ... but it is really hard to get the regularity of commercially spun yarns by using a spindle ... or is it possible at all?

8 comments:

hege said...

But the charm of handspun is that it's not perfect, right? I think your swatch looks cool.
Maybe if you ply two together it will even out? (I know nothing about spinning ;)

twig said...

No clue on the spinning. Your sweater is looking good. I really like the way the color stripes gradually.

Debi said...

LOVE the new cardi!

I must be missing some special DNA but I have absolutely NO DESIRE to ever spin, own a wheel, nothing!

I like my yarn clean, processed, perfect and much removed from it's origins :)

Jennifer said...

The sweater is looking great!

I have no advice about the spinning, as I suck.

Liz said...

Agnes, you can certainly get commercial looking yarn from a spindle. Practice is the key. The more time you spend spinning, the better you will get. The more comfortable you will be and the more consistent your yarn will be. Plying your singles into a 2 ply yarn helps even out irregularity and makes the finished yarn stronger. You're doing AMAZINGLY well if that swatch is your first yarn you ever spun. I would recommend using corriedale as a godd beginning wool to spin.

You're doing an amazing job with spinning, don't sell yourself short.

opportunityknits said...

Oh, good idea Agnes. I'm knitting one front now, so I'll get the sleeve next and seam up and see the fit. Thanks for the tip! I remember lots of tips from your blog :), now I'm wondering if using colour on my lace charts will help my lace challenged brain.
Your yarn looks good, are you going to get a wheel next?

Siow Chin said...

Oh I like your swatch too, so Manos looking, just that yours is much better ;)

claudia said...

Agnes, I'm delighted that something I wrote was helpful to you!

It is certainly is possible to get commercial-looking results from a spindle. Go see Twosheep June's spinning, wheel and spindle.