Thursday, July 06, 2006

Birch

Let's go back a bit to the long July 4th weekend. Husband got inspiration for a new song*, so he spent almost all the Independence Day holidays working on this song. This enabled me to finish Birch with lightning speed ... 4 days! I think if I ever need to make a really fast gift, Birch would be a good choice.

However, knitting the last 10 pattern repeats had been an excruciatingly painful experience. If you were here and looked at me at that time, you would think I was saying prayers holding knitting needles and yarn instead of the Rosary. In a way, I was indeed praying ... "I am not going to need another ball of yarn! I am not going to need another ball of yarn!" was what I was mumbling. This was how much I had left after knitting together the final last 3 stitches:
The chain in the front was the casting on row from the first attempt which was extremely difficult to untangle ... but which I was all prepared to try again if I ran out!

I didn't measure, but the blocked shawl is very big ... so it was very difficult to take photos of it whole. I decided that the striping is just a matter of getting used to ... since almost all the Birches I saw are of solid colours. Now looking at the completed shawl, I think that the striping doesn't seem to interfere too much with the eyelets:
But who knows? Maybe I would make one with a solid-coloured yarn. ;)

Now comes the obligatory model shots:

Details:
Pattern: Birch designed by Sharon Miller from Rowan 34
Almost all knitters know about this beautiful pattern. One search in Google and you'll find tons of them being made and talked about. Once you try making one yourself, you'll understand why ... Simplicity is Beauty. If you haven't made lace before but would like to try, Birch is a good way to start. Begin with a small swatch to get a hang of the pattern, then you are good to go.

Yarn: Feza Kid Mohair (80% kid mohair and 20% nylon) 3 balls Col: 203 Shades of Salmon
I bought these from my LYS and the prices were really cheap ($5 @!). The quality is similar to the Karabella Kid Mohair with which I made River. Can't you tell I am a mohair freak? :D

Gauge and Needle: I didn't check gauge but just followed the suggested needle size in the pattern - US8

Start date: 05-29-2006
Finish date: 07-04-2006

*If you like House, Progressive House or Trance music, you may like the songs made by Husband ... go check them out. Make sure you have lots of room for moving around ... as you might want to dance with them. :)

25 comments:

Toni said...

It's beautiful--well done!

Jason said...

Oh my gosh! Finished already? The Amazing Lace is still running. What are you going to do? :-)

Congratulations! Brich looks amazing. Stripes and all. And it looks great on you. OK, now I am inspired to finish my shawl. :-)

Siow Chin said...

Wow, a very special Birch, Agnes! And your husband's music is so cool!

opportunityknits said...

It turned out as beautiful as I expected :)

Ruth said...

beautiful!!!

shanwen said...

Finished in 4 days ! wonderful shawl.. i want to knit one too.
Thanks you for dropping by :)

Bron said...

I can't believe you're finished already. It's stunning! :)

grumperina said...

Beautiful shawl, I love the subtle striping! Enjoy!

--Deb said...

It looks lovely, and I think the striping is a great touch. Sometimes it works in lace, sometimes it doesn't, and this was definitely one of the good times!

Laura said...

It's beautiful! The striping isn't distracting at all--it gives the shawl more interest.

I love the idea of self-striping mohair, too. I'll have to look for some.

joy said...

That was super fast, and cutting it real close with the amount of yarn leftover. :) The striping makes this Birch more interesting, and the color is beautiful!

alice said...

Lovely! And I like the stripes. :)

claudia said...

I like the striping. The lace is so simple that it doesn't take anything away from the patterning.

Hey, I'm listening to hubby's music right now. Very, very cool.

Jeanne said...

Beautiful - I think the striping really makes it - and it makes me want to make one myself! Great job!

Becky said...

Ooooooooh, that is very nice. And I love the stripes: Makes it edgy!

Debi said...

This is one of the prettiest Birches I've seen! Love the color and the striping gives it extra punch! And beautifully knitted, of course :)

Tell hubster his music is way cool!

P-Man is missing his Auntie Agnes big time! Hopefully we'll be back soon!

Laura.Y said...

I'm loving this shawl you did. The color tones really make it something special.

hege said...

Birch looks gorgeous! And so fast! I love the colors, and I really think the wide stripes are perfect. I especially like your first modelled shot, where the dark band comes over your shoulder and is highlighted by the glowing lighter color around your neck! Beautiful!

Dipsy said...

Oh, your Birch turned out so gorgeous, and I can't believe how fast you knit it up! Great, great work done!

Rain said...

It's stunning. I like the yarn you chose and don't think it detracts from the lace pattern.

twig said...

Gorgeous. I like the striping.

Terri said...

Your shawl is absolutely beautiful. I am missing the lace knitting gene, but I certainly admire the work of others. The yarn selection was just perfect for this project!

brooklyn tweed said...

wow! beautiful. i love the color, great job!

Melissa said...

It's absolutely gorgeous. And I love the variegated yarn. Such a totally different look.

Mimi said...

Wow, it's so beautiful! Need to knit a shawl for myself.