Monday, June 05, 2006

The progress is ... well, pathetic!

The home improvement projects are on the whole finished, though there are still some loose ends to take care of. So, this week I should have more time for knitting. But I am afraid that summer really is not a very productive season ... the weather is so good that you just want to go out and do something else! This weekend, we played tourists and went to the Golden Gate Bridge. This may sound ridiculous to a lot of people - this was actually my first time being there!
See the fog? Sometimes I do wish I live in an area nearer to the coast, like San Francisco or Half Moon Bay, as then I would be able to knit with wool all year round! Talking about knitting with wool, during the weekend, I did try to knit a bit on the sock ... but boy did I sweat like a pig! Mind you, it is only sock yarn! That's why progress has been pathetic:
One sock was done and I immediately started the cuff for the other. I enjoy knitting the linen stitch pattern a lot ... besides, the slipped stitches of the pattern really bring out the beauty of the colourway. I just hope that I would be able to get past the stocking stitch of the foot faster this time!

For Birch, what you see in the photo was my second attempt ... stocking stitch version. During the first try, I found that besides the garter stitch background, I also didn't like the way the colours striped. So, this time, I am knitting with 2 balls ... it seems to work better this way. I deliberately didn't work too much on Birch since I know I would not be able to put it down. I just did one and a half pattern repeats to get to see the pattern. Birch would be the bait to get me work more conscientiously on the Leftover Tank ... which should be an easy and fast knit but somehow I've been procrastinating.

Oh yes, I have also been busy trying to get to know this new toy (not the bridge!):
Garmin iQue3600 ... and I have to tell you that I love this PDA. The GPS of this works so much better than our previous one (HP iPAQ ... Husband vowed NEVER to buy any of their products EVER!). He even managed to get it at almost half price on the internet (I love sweet deal!). And ... the OS is Palm instead of Windows. This means I can try out the KnitAble software. Any of you have used / are using the program? I'd love to hear your opinion.

11 comments:

joy said...

I know what you mean about hot weather and knitting. Right now, I've got the aircon blasting while I knit cotton!

Siow Chin said...

Beautiful shot of the Golden Gate Bridge! My knitting is going no where... It takes me weeks to finish a sock.

Ruth said...

KnitAble... what an interesting program. i could use that for my pda too =)

Jeanne said...

The weather hasn't changed my knitting yet, but we haven't had too many hot days yet. Love the sock!

Jennifer said...

You've never been to the GG bridge before? Wow! It's a nice bridge, but I'm glad I don't have to commute over it.

I'm desperately trying to finish up a shetland wool Rogue in this heat. Of course, I don't know why I'm rushing. It's not like I can wear it.

twig said...

I'd love to visit the Golden Gate bridge. We lived in San Antonio, TX, for 5 years and never went to the Alamo (which is in downtown San Antonio) so I can relate to not visiting local (or nearly local) landmarks.

The sock looks nice. I like that colorway. The picture made me laugh. Reminded me of the movies when the person is kidnapped by the bad guys and the bad guys show a picture of the kidnapped person and a newspaper with that day's date on it to show the person is still alive. We know that as of June 5, your sock is still alive. *laugh* (Ok, Ok, I'm off for more coffee.)

Dipsy D. said...

Ah, beautiful Golden Gate Bridge! Your sock looks so pretty , I love the colorway! Hm - I wonder if we'll get any more hot days this summer - doesn't seem like that at the mo' - but I suppose it'll affect my knitting a bit as well - no big stuff, no thick yarn...

hege said...

Birch looks great, it's a beautiful color! You have almost no fog in your shot of the bridge, you can see the top! :)

Mimi said...

Interesting, I had wished I was back in S. Valley as the weather is much cooler than here! :D
That software has lots to keep track of!

Debi said...

Yikes! Thin, hair-like mohair in summer? You're a better woman than I Agnes! I do love the color and the sock is gorgeous!

I can't believe you've never been to SF...it's my favorite city and they have *perfect* weather :)

opportunityknits said...

Funny how we often see less of our own city than tourists :)
We've been having such warm weather that even the home aircond doesn't seem to be able to cool things down much.