Friday, June 30, 2006

Happiness is ...

when all the loose ends are clipped from the project! Yes! The Leftovers Tank is finally done ... I have to say it is not perfect, but it is done and is wearable! Here it is:
Let's first talk about what is not perfect about it (besides my chubby arms ... don't try to comfort me ... I know when I have been lazy! :)). See the V-neck? I didn't do any homework on how to make a V-neck at all but just went ahead with my instinct. It turned out the point where the V splits would be pulled on both (left and right) directions, creating a very loose space. So, I have to use a crochet hook to slip a few stitches there:
But you can obviously see that it is slanting up on the left side.

Then, I think I could have decreased a few more stitches on the armhole sides so that the shoulder parts don't look so crumbled. Another thing is about the switch of colours. I don't know what I was thinking but I decided to let the positions for the switch be randomly distributed throughout the tank ... instead of aligning them all on one side. Husband said it felt weird as the switch was very abrupt. Now that I look at it, he is right! :P

BUT ... it fits! The armholes are very close-fitting ... which is deliberate as I was afraid that the cotton knit would get stretched out with wear. So, as long as I don't throw it into the machine or hot water, the tank is going to fit well. Have you noticed that I managed to get the stripes match? My only worry was that I didn't have enough yarns of certain colours to do that. It turned out I didn't only have enough ... actually I still have a lot left in certain colours. Maybe I can make a number of coasters from them ... have to check out Cozy Crochet from the library!

I love the slipped stitch i-cord edge ... a very neat finishing. I really wanted to have the i-cord edge continue into the neckline of the back. So, I left the neck stitches on the back and the 6 edge-stitches on the front on holders:
After binding off the shoulders, I started i-cord bind off from the 3 edge-stitches on the right side across the neck and then grafted the last 3 stitches with the 3 edge-stiches on the left side. Does that make sense to you? Anyway, now I have a complete i-cord neckline:
I love this!

Details:
Pattern: My own
Yarns: Rowan Cotton Glaces leftovers from Old Tiles
Gauge and Needle: 6.5 sts and 9 rows per inch on US2
Start date: 05-07-2006
Finish Date: 06-30-2006

15 comments:

Becky said...

I think it looks fabulous! Major stripey goodness. Congratulations, Agnes.

marirob said...

Wow! It looks great. All of your hard work paid off. Love the stripes!

Jeanne said...

It turned out so nice - beautiful!

Jennifer said...

What a wonderful way to use up leftovers! It looks great.

Laura said...

Wow Agnes! That's very cute. I didn't even notice the mid-row color changes until you pointed them out.

Now you can wear it under the Old Tile cardigan or a very BRIGHT look. :D

twig said...

It looks great. I envy the way you know what color stripes will look good next to what other color stripes. And how to do the size of the stripes so it looks random but planned.

Ruth said...

wow, it looks really good! there must have been a billion ends to weave in. but it looks really good on you - glad it fits well too. and yea, it sounds like coasters would be a fun idea to get rid of the rest of the leftovers. =)

Casey said...

Wow, that's a lot of stripes! I thought my striped baby sweater had a lot of ends to weave in but I think you win that contest. It looks really good and it's even better that it fits!

Anonymous said...

Great job, Agnes! You're so good about matching up the stripes. It takes a strong mind to weave in so many ends. ;-)

joy

Debi said...

It's adorable Agnes! The I-cord edging works perfectly! Nice job!

opportunityknits said...

It's a pretty vest, Agnes! The colourful stripes go so well together. My fave colour is that orange you used to do the edging with.

Siow Chin said...

A lovely vest! And the best of all it's a good use of resources, yay!

knit chick said...

Your leftover vest turned out great. It's a great way to use up that extra yarn!

hege said...

It looks fabulous! And I like that the yarns change randomly instead of at the side. It gives it more energy! It is beautiful! You did such a nice job putting the colors together.

Jes said...

It looks great!
Man, that's a lot of ends to weave in. Now that's what I call endurance =)