Thursday, June 01, 2006

Getting organized

Some of you were curious about the identity of the sock yarn I showed you last time. Yes, it is the second kit from the Rocking Sock Club. The colourway is called Fairgrounds and the pattern "Rock and Weave". The cuff is knitted separately in linen stitch. What I showed you last time were the 2 sides of the stitch pattern - the purl side on the left and the right side on the right. The right side actually looks similar to a woven fabric and the photo model of the sock in the pattern used this side for the cuff. However, I, as with many of you, prefer the purl side a little bit more.

There hasn't been too much knitting going on this week. To make a not-too-complicated story even simpler, this is why.
:O Books were scattered everywhere in this house because we didn't have bookshelves.
:X In a previous attempt to get bookshelves in IKEA, we decided that was a shop we wouldn't go again because of the hassle getting in and out of the parking lot. But most importantly, we forgot to get the measurements.
:D I discovered some really practical and cheap bookshelves in Target, which is a lot parking friendly.

So I spent all the afternoons building shelves and organizing the books. See?

On the left is Husband's collection of Gaston, Spirou et Fantasio, Tin Tin, Asterix and many many more. On the right is my collection of knitting books. Neat! I can even find a place for these cuties:
I brought them with me from Hong Kong. There are magnets on their hands and feet ... I fell in love with them when they first came out in Hong Kong many many years ago but I think I missed one ... Bert.

The problem with organizing the home is that once you get one spot done, you like it so much that you'd like to do makeover to ALL the sore spots. This is what eats up my time for knitting. While organizing the books, I discovered a reading notebook I kept in the past:
The notebook is one with illustrations by one of my most favourite illustrators - Jimmy. Inside, I have written down passages from books I read that I found interesting, touching or inspiring. This is the last entry:

"Your joy is your sorrow unmasked.
And the selfsame well from which your laughter rises was oftentimes filled with your tears.
And how else can it be?
The deeper that sorrow carves into your being, the more joy you can contain.
Is not the cup that hold your wine the very cup that was burned in the potter's oven?
And is not the lute that soothes your spirit, the very wood that was hollowed with knives?
When you are joyous, look deep into your heart and you shall find it is only that which has given you sorrow that is giving you joy.
When you are sorrowful look again in your heart, and you shall see that in truth you are weeping for that which has been your delight."

It is from The Prophet by Kahlil Gibran, the chapter "On Joy and Sorrow". I do think I should pick up this practice again.

9 comments:

twig said...

Let's not even talk about organizing bookshelves, please! I can't keep mine straight no matter what. And the husband read Fahrenheit 451 years and years ago and ever since then he's been a book horder in case they are ever outlawed. I started to do database of our books but quit when I got to number 10,000 and was only about 2/3 through. We have 3 copies of 1984 by George Orwell, but we can't get rid of anyone in case we might need them all sometime in the future. *sigh* It looks insane in writing, but it's true and the database attempt was about 10 years ago, I refuse to think about the books collect since then.

Siow Chin said...

Our flat is overflowing with books and magazine, etc. They are all over the place despite the bookshelves.

Mimi said...

I am in need of bookshelves too, specifically for my knitting books. Either I'll have to buy a new bookshelf or refrain from buying new knitting books.

Dipsy D. said...

What a great job you did with organizing your books! I did that a while ago during our renovation and still am so happy with it - no more books lying around for everyone to stumble over them, and I even managed to catalogize them back them - oops, what a job!
I love that verse you posted by Kahlil Gibran, I read "The Prophet" first when I was 12 or so and have read it countless times ever since - it's a true classic and so beautiful and meaningful!

Lolly said...

I love seeing other people's book shelves!

Rebekah said...

Ahh organization, isn't it fun. I'm hoping tomorrow I can get some good old, cleaning and organization time in. I think I'll sleep better if I do.

What a great quote, and neat practice.

Debi said...

Cool little glimpse into your world Auntie Agnes! Love your new shelves!

Enjoy your weekend!

Becky said...

I am SO jealous of your Sesame Street dolls. Aaaaah!

Nit One Perl Two said...

I am so happy I found your site. It appears we have more in common than knitting! I'll let you know when I complete the "world renound" triple lindee patern!