Monday, June 26, 2006

Another reason why you should swatch

First of all, thank you all so much for the birthday well wishes! I really appreciated them very much. It is a pity that birthday blog fodder can only be used once a year, despite the fact that we Chinese people all have 3 birthdays a year. Yes, you read it right, 3 birthdays per person a year! Besides the birthday on the international (Western) calendar, we have a birthday on the Chinese calendar and then the seventh day of the first month of the year is called Common Man's Birthday (Man's Day). ;)

Now, back to knitting. As much as I don't enjoy swatching, I have to admit it is indeed a good practice. Since I had reached the armhole shaping in the Leftovers Tank, it was time to get serious with how to proceed. I already figured out the number of stitches in the shaping, what was left to do was the double knit slipped stitch edge (from Annie Modesitt's Confessions of a Knitting Heretic).

I did a little swatching following the instructions in the book:
Just one look and you can obviously see something was wrong ... the resulting edge was not smooth at all! So, I checked the blogs of people who had used this method before and discovered an error (all the slipped stitches should be done with the yarn in front, not just those on Row 1). Following the instructions on Colleen's blog, I got something much more decent:
Since I would like to use the orange colour for the edge to get a neater finish for the whole tank, I practised a bit more using another colour (white in the photo) for the centre stitches before working on the tank:
I just need to remember not to pull the yarn too tightly on the edge, otherwise, there may be a bit of puckering. But on the whole, I am happy with how it looks:
Right now, I am not sure if I can match the stripes on the front with those on the back ... I am not even sure if I can do that with the two sides of the V-neck! That's not really important, right? (Just tell me it's not, okay? hahaha ... ) But I do know one thing ... I am just really happy starting to see the end of this project! :D

10 comments:

grumperina said...

It's a clever little technique, isn't it? I'm glad you discovered that knitting those edge stitches kind of loosely is key to preventing puckering. Your results are looking fabulous!

colleen said...

This technique is a great way to easily get finished edges.

But, wait, you're doing something like an intarsia slip-stitch edging? I bow down before you.

Jason said...

What? I didn't know about the Common Man's Birthday!! You are telling me that I missed 40 of them? LOL

Your knitting looks fantastic. Really neat. I don't think it's necessary to match the stripes on the back at all.

Happy Belated Birthday Wish to you! :-)

twig said...

You can have mismatching stripes. I hereby bestow permission on you.

If you get 3 birthdays a year, does that mean you're 126? If so, you look REALLY good for your age.

Debi said...

The tank of many colors looks GREAT! I love the armhole edging! And it will be lovely whether the stripes match or not!

PS- Is Chris (Bossy and Stinky's Mom) blogging? Have you heard from her?

alice said...

the edging looks great--I love those colors, too! also, matching stripes are way overrrated. :)

emy said...

Happy Belated Birthday -- those stripes look so happy & cheery! Love them!

Casey said...

That's a great edging! I used it on a scarf and I'm surprised more people don't know about it. Your tank will look fabulous whether the stripes match or not. (but if you want them to match, I think you can do it!)

hege said...

I love the colors of your tank, and I think the stripes will look great whether they are matched or not! Can't wait to see it!

Siow Chin said...

That slipped stitch edge is looking great! As for the stripes, I would match both sides of the V but maybe not the back.