Friday, May 19, 2006

R.I.P. - Pretty Comfy Socks

After one year's washer and dryer abuse (yeah, the first time was a mistake ... and then afterwards, what the hack, I keep putting them into the machines!), my first pair of hand-knitted socks finally succumbed:
Skill-wise, these socks have much room for improvement ... the short-row heels are heinous indeed! But I do have sentimental attachment to them. And to be honest, the lace pattern is pretty. So, though they won't be able to keep my feet comfy, I think I'll keep them in my sock closet for some time before throwing them out (can you tell I'm a pack rat? ;))

But I am not sad at all! I have a new favourite. It's a bit of cliche knitting a lace leaf pattern in green ... but if it comes out lovely, why not? :)

Details:
Pattern and Modifications: Embossed Leaves Socks designed by Mona Schmidt (IK Winter 2005)
I kept seeing this lovely pattern around the knitting blogisphere and finally, I have to make myself a pair.
As I told you before, the twisted rib cuff is not very stretchy and doesn't look good, so I just did a simple k1p1 ribbing with German twist cast on.
I think the pattern would come out best with solid or near solid colour yarns, though I've seen gorgeous ones with multicoloured yarns too. I especially like the toe decrease which was done in a way that the leaves' shapes were kept:
Bonus, no need for grafting ... just thread through the last 8 stitches ... ta-da and it's done!

Yarn: Cascade Fixation (98.3% Cotton, 1.7% Elastic) Col: 5606
I love this elastic cotton yarn. You'll get very comfortable cushy socks ... though they tend to be a bit thick. If you avoid washing them in machine, the socks would keep their softness. I think I did better with keeping the yarn not too stretched nor too relaxed while knitting this time.

Gauge and Needles: Not sure about the gauge. I used US1.5 DPNs and cast on 64 stitches.

Start date: 05-10-2006
Finish date: 05-17-2006

A quick update on the Leftover Tank. I am not a very good judge in colour combination ... so I am really not sure if the way I mix the colours would come out well ... but no matter what, I am going to wear this tank when it is finished. :) One day while knitting it, I suddenly had a case of panic attack ... fearing that it would be too small! So, I had to measure it against the smallest top I have in the closet:
Seems okay [phew!] Since I grew up with the conventional wisdom that horizontal stripes would make one put on pounds visually, I added some slight waist shaping ... can you see it?

18 comments:

hege said...

The socks are so beautiful! And your leftover tank is looking excellent. It's great when the colors are random, it brings out a kind of energy which I love!

The_Add_Knitter said...

The socks are gorgeous, but then again I was alwasya sucker for green. More and more I am drawn to the non-grafting toe patterns, have you seen the Knitting Vintage Socks book by Nancy Bush?

Jennifer said...

Ahhh, the fate of all socks. *Pausing for moment of silence*

The leaf green socks are lovely though! I like working with Fixation.

erin said...

Love the socks. This must be my fave sock pattern of all and it looks great in green.

Siow Chin said...

Lovely socks, Agnes! I should really knit another pair in solid coloured yarn.

Dipsy D. said...

I'm totally impressed by your Embossed Leaves Socks, they're so lovely! The pattern is very high up on my "Have to do" list - and as I see it on your pics, solid colored yarn seems to be best for them! Great work!

Debi said...

Thanx for te compliment hunny! Your socks look amazing! Perfect color, perfect knitting!

Have a great weekend Agnes!

ps - doesn't pumpkin look amazing with the new camera :)

joy said...

No grafting on the socks sound pretty good to me. :) They look great in green!

Those are some fun stripes on that tank!

Mimi said...

Your choice of green for this leaves socks was prefect!

katie said...

Oooo... I've been liking pictures of those Leaf socks all over the internet, but I hadn't seen the clever toe yet. Now I must make some.

Toni said...

Very elfen--love 'em!

twig said...

RIP socks.

Love the Embossed Leaves socks. (You know I love anything green.)

Becky said...

Those are very, very pretty socks. The finishing looks very professional.

Knittinreed said...

Great color and knitting on the socks. They look fabulous. I also prefer the solid color on these although someone did them in a very genlty hued colorway that looked wonderful too.
Like your striped tank...

Jennifer said...

Gorgous socks. Love the green, I'm a major sucker for green. :)

uhoava gnu said...

I love your socks! They are very beautiful! The green is perfect for them, not a cliche at all :))

nona said...

The color mix is beautiful in your leftovers vest!

Counting Stitches said...

I love the embossed leaves socks! Great job on them! And you happen to have chosen this month's Project Spectrum color too. :)