Tuesday, May 02, 2006

One more Mission Accomplished! (Picture heavy post)

The colour of Alpaca Cloud I used for the Sampler Stole has been very difficult to capture in pictures. Yesterday, I asked Husband to take pictures for me under the sunlight. He was just after work; he is not always a patient person; and he is not a professional photograher. All these added up and we had this:
Not really too bad, but it seemed not able to show the intricate lace patterns too well, don't you think? The blocking-in-action shot can serve this purpose much better:
But the colour was more like grey than the purple iris in real life.

When I was getting ready to post this morning, Blogger didn't upload my pictures. No big deal ... used to that already. All I needed to do is to wait a bit ... during which I played around with the camera again. The colour is better during the day even indoors:
When I love playing around with the camera so much, you know I love what I have done! :) I think this stole is just plain gorgeous! So, what some of you said before was right ... it is really worth all the troubles trying to knit it right.

Details:
Pattern and Modification: The Sampler Stole designed by Hazel Carter from A Gathering of Lace
The pattern is not too difficult and there are various lace patterns (sampler!) for beginners to try on. I personally enjoyed knitting the 2 borders most. Not too much modification except skipping one central panel repeat.
When knitting the edging on the side, at first I followed the pattern and knitted the edging together with the stole every row. Obviously I had problem identifying rows in lace because I ended up with an edging that was crowded with too many repeats. So, I examined the picture of the stole in the book and counted 8 repeats along one border. Using stitch markers to evenly distribute the 8 repeats along the side, I got something more decent. There are 162 rows in the border ... some calculation led me to another 14 repeats along the central panel. This was why I said math was good for you, knitters!

Blocking: I followed Yarn Harlot's advice on blocking lace and used some invisible cord to thread through the 4 sides of the stole before putting it into the bath. This really made opening out the wet stole on the blocking towel a lot easier. However, I still had to use blocking wires in the real blocking since they are much more sturdy.

Yarn: Alpaca Cloud in Iris
This is a lovely yarn which is really soft. However, after some intense knitting, I discovered that I might be allergic to alpaca ... at least my fingers are! During the last 2 weeks, I almost worked solely on this project and now my thumbs and index fingers are all dry. They were also itchy and red and even a little bit swollen before I finished. Yet, the good news is that I seem to be able to wear the stole without much irritation.

Gauge and Needle: US2 and unknown gauge
I used US2 DPNs to knit the edging ... much more convenient.

Final measurements: 65" x 21"

Start date: 03-1-2006
Finish date: 05-1-2006

41 comments:

loriz said...

Wow, that's awesome! I've been watching your progress and I love it! How many skeins of alpaca cloud did it take? After seeing some of the lace projects coming out of that book, I recently purchased it.

Rebekah said...

It is beyond gorgeous, you did a magnificent job and it really shows in the end product.

grumperina said...

You did such a fabulous job on this project! Congratulations, and wear it proudly!

Liz said...

Stunning! It turned out lovely! Well worth the effort! Congratulations!

Jennifer said...

It's beautiful!

Ruth said...

wow!! gorgeous!! yea, no need for "professional" photography skills, the stole shines by itself!! great job =)

Jason said...

Absolutely gorgeous! Great job! I am really looking forward to the arrival of my own copy of the book. :-)

Jen said...

Absolutely gorgeous stole, and my goodness that's HUGE! How many ball sof Alpaca Cloud did you use?

Angel said...

Wow.

I think that about sums it up.

Wow.

You did an awesome job.

Laura said...

beautiful! your blocking is amazing--all those little points pulled out perfectly.

Enjoy the shawl.

Michelle said...

Absolutly amazing job. It's beautiful!

Toni said...

Oh, Agnes, this is beautiful! I don't think you could have done a better job!

Mimi said...

Oh it's soooo beautiful, really nice job and worth all the hard work you've gone through! The color is my favorite as well.
I can spot a happy and smiling Agnes! ;)

joy said...

It's gorgeous, Agnes, and worth all that work!

Usually I have to get the boys to take photos, because my husband wouldn't entertain photo sessions. :)

Kathy said...

The color is perfect for the gorgeous knit. Wow, I'd say you are a patient knitter. It is really really impressive.

Doreen said...

Wow, this stole is really gorgeous simply beautiful. Good Work.

Jeanne said...

This is so beautiful and I just love the color. Great job!

Debi said...

I'm *almost* rendered speechless by it's beauty! It is perfection Agnes...well done you!!

Elspeth said...

How gorgeous!

emy said...

Awesome! I've got to go knit some lace right after hubby's vest!

Monica said...

Your stole is beautiful!

rose said...

Absolutely lovely :)

bradyphrenia said...

Stunning!

Purly Whites said...

Gorgeous!!!

hege said...

It's so beautiful!!! You did a wonderful job! Yippee! You have a right to be proud.

Nooooooo!!! Hope you are not allergic to alpaca. Hopefully you will be ok with wearing it, I just read that they do not have lanolin and therefore should be less allergenic :)

Jen said...

Just beautiful and what a perfect size! Looks great on you, congrats on finishing such an intricate piece!

Siow Chin said...

Lovely, lovely lace stole! I want one! But it'll take me years to finish something as delicate as that.

lori said...

Wow. Just. Wow.

I am so impressed with your stole! And with your determination in the face of adversity... :)

Wow.

Lauren said...

Wow, it is so gorgeous!!! Great job.

Dipsy said...

This stole is absolutely magnificent, and hey, your hubby did a great job taking the pics of you wearing it! I can't believe how beautiful that pattern is and what a lot of patience you had with making it - I'm afraid it'd take me years to finish it! Absolutely impressive!

Rain said...

It's beautiful, the detail is exquisite. Well done.

heidi said...

Very beautiful indeed!

alice said...

It is lovely! Good call with leaving out a repeat in the center--looks like it's the perfect size with the yarn sub. Congratulations!

jacqueline said...

ohhh gasp! it is absolutely beautiful.

i hope it is only your fingers with the alpaca allergy..it would be such a pity not to be able to wear this gorgeous stole.

Zippianna said...

What a beauty! And the color is gorgeous. Congratulations to you!

Theresa said...

Fabulous! You are so ready to knit lace with us this summer!

Becky said...

That is such a beautiful stole! Very feminine and delicate.

Bonne Marie said...

GORGEOUS! I love the color and the size oh heck I love everything about it! You did a spectacular job - and you're pretty darn cute yourself! :)

letti said...

wow, that's sooo elaborate...amazing. I could never do anything like that. Even the cross stitch i'm doing right now, has the pattern printed right on the cloth..heheheh Great Job!

nona said...

What a beautiful lace shawl -- you did an excellent job! A lace sampler is a neat idea. I've just started on my first lace project and am enjoying the knitting.

Anonymous said...

Agnes, your Sampler Stole is beautiful.

Thank you for posting the link in my Comments.

Darilyn